Chapter 35

Chapter 35

       "Are you sure you'll be fine?" Grayson asked, his hand resting hesitantly on the doorknob.

       I sighed. "Yes, I'll be fine. I think I'm capable of taking care of our son by myself for a few hours."

       "But he...."

       "Grayson, just go," I said. "Ryder will be fine being away from his dad." Probably. Most likely.

       Grayson nodded. "Yeah, of course. If you ever need anything, you know where I find me. And even if you just want to...."

       I interrupted Grayson by cupping his face in my hands and pressing my lips on his. He really needed to shut up and go to work.

       I pulled away. "I'll be fine," I said. "Just go."

       "Okay," Grayson said. He kissed my cheek before grabbing his keys and leaving.

       I went to my room after locking the door and laid down on my bed next to Ryder. Grayson put him down for a nap a while ago, putting pillows on the edge of the bed so he wouldn't fall off.

       I closed my eyes, going down for a nap. However, I was woken up about forty five minutes later when Ryder started fussing. I gently picked him and and began rocking him, but he soon began to cry. I knew for a fact that he wasn't hungry, so there was another reason he was crying.

       And I had a feeling it was because he wanted his dad.

       I got up from my bed, rocking him as I walked around the apartment. His sobs quieted down a bit, but not completely.

       Five minutes of trying to dissolve his sobs, I decided I was going to need help.

       I carefully put him in the stroller, wrapping his blanket around him before grabbing my keys and leaving, locking the door behind me.

Ryder kept crying softly and I now knew it was because he wanted Grayson. He had a distinguishable sob for when he wanted Grayson and this was it.

       When I got into the cafe, a lot of the university students that I knew and live nearby looked at me. I ignored them and stood in line, still having Ryder cry.

       I got to the front of the line where Grayson was. "I know I told you I'd be fine, but he wants you," I said.

       Grayson sighed. "I can't hold him, as much as I want to."

       "I know," I said. "Can you just talk to him so he can see you?"

      Grayson bit his lip and looked behind me, making sure there was no one else in line. He sighed. "I could get written up for this," he said before walking out from behind the counter and crouching beside the stroller. "Ryder," he said softly. "Hey, don't cry."

       Immediately, Ryder stopped crying and he even smiled at Grayson. As annoyed I was for him only wanting Grayson, that smile was the cutest thing ever.

       "There you go," Grayson said, smiling back.

       Someone cleared their throat and Grayson turned around, seeing his manager. "Grayson, you're supposed to be behind the counter at all times," he said.

       "I'm sorry," Grayson said. "My son was crying and wouldn't stop until he saw me."

       His manager looked at Ryder, then had a smile on his face. "Well, you're lucky nobody is in the line," he said. "I'll let you off the hook this one time, only because I know how hard it is to be a new parent and having to go to work. But you have to go back behind the counter now."