3. I Accept the Turnip's Duel

Eliza and Drew stood together while they waited to be told what House they'd be placed in. A sympathetic teacher had used a spell to dry Isabell off, so now she stood in the midst of other first years in the most dignified manner she could muster, but the algae on her shoulders made that difficult.

To Drew's surprise, Wilby was promptly put in Slytherin. She would have bet on Hufflepuff, but that just showed how much she didn't know him.

A few more students were Sorted. Susan Bones... Terry Boot...  Millicent Bulstrode... Drew watched with little enthusiasm. It was very quick for some people, but very long for others.

Professor McGonagall, the cat woman with lips thin enough to cut diamond, barked, "Getaway, Aurora!"

Ari trembled as she arrived at the three-legged stool and sat down. Drew knew she definitely wanted to be in Ravenclaw and hoped that she'd get it.

"RAVENCLAW!" the Hat hollered.

Drew clapped loudly for her, and Ari turned and smiled, "Thanks!"

"Getaway, Drew!"

Excitement nearly pouring out of her eyes, Drew sat down. McGonagall placed the Sorting Hat on her head.

A little voice in her ears said, "Hmm.... now this is always a tough decision..."

What? Drew asked, surprised. She thought she could feel invisible fingers picking through her memories like file folders. Are you reading my mind?

"Oh yes," it chuckled. "You have great pride in yourself. Cunning, daring, determined. A little impulsive, but very brave. Brave, indeed."

I don't want Gryffindor, she thought, knowing where it was going.

"No? I do sense that. You want to join your friends?"

She gave a nod, wondering why it was second-guessing her like this.

"Slytherin's traits are the best fit for you, I admit..."

Why the hesitation, then?

The voice got lower, almost furtive. "Miss Getaway, I warn every Muggle-born before putting them in Slytherin. Many there would not take kindly to you. You see, many of the worst people ask for Slytherin to be with their own, regardless of where I think they fit."

Then I'll change Slytherin House. I don't care.

It got quiet. "Truly, you are ambitious. Better be SLYTHERIN!"

Her heart leaped as the green and silver table cheered. She excitedly walked over and sat down, then turned to look at the other first years who hadn't yet been sorted.

The blond guy she met at Diagon Alley was giving Drew a look of utter horror, identical to Isabell de Montmorency's. The Sorting Hat's warning rang in her head.

As for Eliza, her face was impassive, but she smiled when she saw Drew looking. As for those on the table, they all clapped and cheered, welcoming her.

A few minutes later, Professor McGonagall called out, "Malfoy, Draco!"

This one looked particularly nasty, judging from facial expression alone.

After many more and Pansy Parkinson, came "Potter, Harry!"

The Hall went silent when he nervously put on his hat. Drew saw Malfoy stare at Harry with a hopeful expression.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

The red and gold table cheered, and prefect Percy Weasley excitedly shouted to anyone and everyone that Harry Potter had joined his House.