10. A Montague Worse Than Romeo

Did you know Bludgers are apparently ten inches in diameter? That's the size of a basketball. And they're made of iron. No wonder poor Harry got his skull cracked in his sixth year

* ° * ° *

"Is that Getaway?"

"She has a Nimbus 2001!"

"Bloody hell, she never seemed rich to me before!"

Drew ignored all the annoying whispers and stood with her fellow Slytherins at the tryouts.

Cyndee and Wilby sat on the bleachers, and they waved at her encouragingly.

She ignored them too, and focused instead on Marcus Flint giving instructions.

They split into groups, depending on which position they were trying out for.

Drew had long since accepted that she couldn't be Seeker, as the disgusting Malfoy had already taken the position without needing a tryout. In fact, he wasn't even here.

The other Beaters eyed her up, no doubt taking in the fact that they were for the most part burlier than her. She suspected that they didn't realize that being a Beater wasn't just about hitting things, it was also about being able to balance.

Graham Montague was being especially snotty to her, and he called random insults to her from where he stood with the other Chasers. Perhaps he'd heard about what she'd said to his older sister. "Going to be Beater, Getaway? You don't look fit for the part. I hope you fall on your face."

"I hope you get locked in a cabinet and die," she shot back.

"I hope you get hit in the face with a Bludger."

Drew just taunted, "Did you know that there's an old play about a boy named Montague, who poisoned himself? Yeah, he was whiny as hell too, and it wasn't much of a tragedy to me. His wife stabbed herself to death and their families got along just fine after that."

He looked taken aback, his mouth falling open. "What...really?"

"Look up Romeo and Juliet the day you finally want to educate yourself, dimwad."

When it was Drew's turn, she rose into the sky with the bat in one hand, silently thanking Cyndee for the swift broomstick she'd gotten her.

Flint, also in the air, threw a Bludger at her, and she took both hands off her broom and swung the bat. The black ball connected with a crack, and it was sent hurtling back at the captain, who caught it.

She was really glad that she'd done sports in school.

Flint weighed the ball in his hands, as if it were his options. He threw it again, this time not directly at her. She dived and pulled up, hitting the bat at the same time, this time with one hand. It was a little harder, but still, it flew back at him.

The captain seized it again, and he looked uneasily down at the other Slytherin players, who were watching expectantly.

"Throw me the other one," he yelled down, and Montague chucked the Bludger up.

"Captain," Montague shouted, "I don't know what you want to do, but —"

Flint glared at him, "Shut up."

Drew's mouth twitched, but she forced herself to stay calm. It was heavily against school rules to purposely hurt another student, and there were witnesses all over the Pitch.

Plus Xavier and Quentin were lounging on the bleachers, staring at the clouds. The presence of two prefects who were actually responsible had to give Marcus enough reason to not be stupid.