22. I Win Magical Monopoly

Aurora held up a turquoise dress. It was a long strapless gown made of shimmery fabric. "Would this look good on me?"

Drew was sat on a padded chair, and she covered her mouth to hide a yawn, "I think so."

Her sister shot her a mildly annoyed glare, "You need to get one too, you know."

"What if I don't want to wear one to the Ball?" Drew complained. "A fancy one, I mean. Sounds like a hassle. And what if I'm not even going to the Ball? It'd be a wonderful opportunity to do some sneaking around..."

With pursed lips, Ari perused another rack. They were at a department store, shopping for new clothing. Their school lists this year required attire for formal occasions, which she'd found out from Cyndee was the Yule Ball.

Ari pulled out a hot pink mermaid dress, "We've never been to a dance before, much less a formal ball. You simply have to go. It'll be fun, especially with Durmstrang and Beauxbatons coming. And there's going to be lots of food, I'm sure."

"I suppose," Drew relented. "What do you suggest I wear?"

Her twin scrutinized her, holding the dress up to her, "You're more fit than me, so you could wear this one, but it's not your style." She put it back and riffled through some more racks, "Anyway, you like purple, so I'd go with that colour."

"Not that one," Drew called, as her sister examined a pale green ball gown.

"I know," Ari sighed, "I was just thinking." As Drew denied two more gowns, Ari huffed, "You know, if you want to wear a suit you could just say so."

She snorted, "I don't."

Evidently frustrated, she walked deeper into the store, and then returned with a pale blue floor-length off-the-shoulder gown, an A-line as she called it.

Drew took it. "It's nice," she allowed.

"I'm sure it'd be wonderful on you, and it's the right size. Just...ah..." she leaned down, "change the colour later." She straightened up, "That kind of icy blue is going to blend right into the floor, and you don't want that."

Drew read the price tag and examined the dress, "I'll try this one then. Thanks."

Aurora beamed, "You're welcome! Now help find one for me."

"What can I even contribute? Just get whatever you'd get me. We look the same anyway."

"We don't look the same," the Ravenclaw argued, but she seemed to be considering her words. She went back to the rack and picked out an identical dress. "I'll change it to a brighter blue," she decided. "Come on, let's try them on."

* ° * ° *

An hour later the girls had gotten off the bus and making their way back to their flat. Their neighbourhood was especially picturesque today, since the sun was actually shining through sky, with no clouds to obstruct it.

Ari swung her shopping bag around to smile at her sister, "If you were to go with someone to the Ball, who would you pick?"

Drew shrugged, "Wilby?"

"Oh, right," Ari nodded, seeming to have forgotten about him. She seemed to think this was a boring answer, so she pressed, "Anyone else?"

Drew got annoyed, "You know, I would go with Eliza if she hadn't gotten stupid and thrown our friendship away."

At this, Ari rolled her eyes, having heard this often. "It happened nearly three years ago, Drew. I think you should just...stop being angry about it."