9. I Befriend a Pyramid

It was the day after the pixie fiasco, and Drew had been serving detention with Flitwick for punching someone. She returned to the dungeons, searching for Wilby. He and Cyndee were by the windows... talking to Theodore Nott.

The brunet had never spoken much, so she was surprised. He reminded her of that Blaise Zabini, always keeping to himself and giving off mysterious vibes.

She realized Wilby was being threatened and ran over, swinging the cover of her Charms textbook into his head.

Theodore stumbled and fell. They backed off as he hastily picked himself up. Wilby was staring at her like she was some sort of knight, and she demanded, "Nott you halfwit, what are you doing?"

"Having a conversation!" he snarled, cradling his head.

"Well Cyndee looks terrified over there, and so does Wilby. Is this what normally happens during your conversations?"

Nott balled up his fist, holding it up like a small sledgehammer, "I can't believe you hit—"

"HEY! What's going on here?" a voice cried. It was Xavier Columbus, one of the newly appointed prefects. He was stalking over, looking irked about having to do physical activity. "Not about to fight, are you? Take it outside, you miniature gits, where the staff can't blame me for two idiots blasting cushions apart."

"We haven't even learned explosion spells yet, you prat," Nott said rudely, but he marched into a green armchair in a fit of fury.

"That's because you're too thick to have facts get through your head," Drew called after him.

"Shut up blood traitor!"

"You shut your mouth! Or is your chin so fat you can't lift it?"

"Stop it!" Xavier ordered. "Why do I have to deal with you brats all the bloody time? Don't make me drown you in the lake! I'm prefect, not a babysitter!"

She just snorted at him in response. Then she went up to the other girl. "Want to sit down, Cyndee?"

"Oh...okay. Drew."

Drew turned, "Yeah?"

Cyndee looked shocked, "Oh, no, I was just...remembering."

She turned up an eyebrow at that but said nothing. She dumped her bag on the floor under one of the tables and sat down.

"Blood traitor," Drew mused as the two took their seats, "that's what he called me. Apparently, my Muggle-born status hasn't yet been revealed to the public."

"Why'd you come back so quick?" Wilby asked her.

"Got bored," she responded, staring at him across the table. "Turns out half my life just revolves around talking to you, Will."

Wilby nearly dropped his bag.

"Are you turning red?" Drew asked. "You sure look like you are. What were you and Nott talking about?"

"He told Theodore to leave me alone," Cyndee said. She wasn't even looking at them, and Drew had the feeling she'd answered accidentally.

Drew gazed at him incredulously, "I thought all you did was say please and sing Taylor Swift."

"Taylor's amazing," he said.

"Taylor's on hiatus," she shot back.

"Okay."

"Stop saying 'okay'. So er, Cyndee. Do you want to tell us something about yourself? Since we're friends now."

Cyndee put the newspaper she'd been holding on the table, "You mean...why I'm such a freak?"