32. Green for the Gaslight

Morfinus yanked his arm away. "Don't be insane."

Cyndee bent to pick up his wand, and she shook it in his face. "You hid this in your sleeve and Confounded everyone you talked to. You killed Tristan because he was uncontrollable and more attention-seeking than you, and then you tried to ruin my mind to save yourself."

To their surprise, it was Jack who laughed first. "That's not remotely true. He's always had that in there in case someone jumps him. It's because of the Death Eater attack that he does that."

Cyndee stared him down. "The Death Eater doesn't exist."

"Cousin," Morfinus grinned, "who's talking right now? Sage? Louis? Whoever you are, you've got it wrong."

"HEY!" Drew snarled. "That's Cyndee, and don't act like you understand more than her!"

"I'm the one that grew up with her," he retorted. "She's not herself. She needs to be at St. Mungo's, where there'd be able to help!"

"SHUT UP!" Cyndee screamed. "That place doesn't understand!"

"Yeah," Blaise agreed. "They go about it the wrong way, and she's better off out here with us."

Morfinus's face reddened. "So you've been fooled as well. Cyndee, how dare you blacken Tristan's memory by saying I killed him. It was a DEATH EATER. I've dealt with you long enough. Lying about how he died won't bring him to life!"

Jack looked anxiously at the door. "Morfy, can we go?"

"No, you can't. Back me up, please."

The five students turned to see what he'd say. Jack stepped between them and swallowed. "A Death Eater's pretty different from Morfy. Didn't you have a description of her? It's nothing like him."

"Exactly," Morfinus scoffed. "She changed the story."

Drew wanted to drown him.

Cyndee glowered. "A blonde middle-aged woman with a Dark Mark. Coincidentally the exact opposite of you in every respect. I never changed my story. You did that yourself."

Morfinus rolled his eyes. "Are you all serious right now? You've all got your wands out and are going to attack me?"

Blaise glared at him, looking every bit poised for a fight. "You're not leaving this room until we have a confession."

Morfinus held out a hand to Jack. "Wand."

Jack passed it over, not looking happy about it. Drew gawked at him. "Are you crazy?"

He frowned. "Don't call me that."

Morfinus had taken the wand, and Drew waited for him to show some sort of discomfort, like the dull burn from when she'd done the same. It didn't happen. "But that's..."

"Acacia?" he finished, grinning. "True, but it lets good friends use it as well."

Drew laughed off his confidence. "Four against one and a wand that isn't yours. Even if you're two years older, do you really think you stand a chance?"

"Normally, no." Morfinus yanked Jack towards him, and a brick wall suddenly materialized around them.

Drew gaped. "What magic is this?!"

Wilby realized first. "He's taking advantage of the Room of Requirement's powers!" He shoved the wall, and cracks appeared. Drew shooed him away and blasted it apart.

There was nothing behind the rubble but a newly-placed trap door.

Blaise flicked his wand to open it, and cockroaches poured out. He slammed it shut. "Gross!"