38. Will-He-Won't-He

Yeaaaa new update!! 🍻

Now why does the chapter title rhyme with "Willy Wonky"...

* ° * ° *

Drew shot awake. Blinking away the spots and headache, she scanned the home around her. No one was in sight, but she could hear someone rustling around in the next room.

She couldn't move. She was lying on a worn couch, facing a coffee table. She moved her eyes down to her hand, and it was still slick with blood, staining the green fabric of the chair. It's just red nail polish, she thought. Totally. Totally.

For a living room, it sure didn't look like anyone lived in it. It was messy, but the way an office was. Newspapers and books were piled on the shelves, pens and sticky notes were scattered across the table before her, and the air smelled like coffee and dust.

Not fancy or big enough to be a townhouse or anything. There were only windows on one wall, both hidden by curtains, so Drew guessed it was a flat.

Xavier — well, she assumed it was him — was still preoccupied, so she reflected on her situation. Okay, so she was trapped and he was Imperiused.

It was a good curse. His eyes had betrayed neither confusion nor an empty shell. And if he had been like this since she met Carolina, it had been cast at least seven months ago. Ones this advanced weren't a Sickle a dozen.

A mass of harsh whispers circled her mind.

THAT SEBASTIAN KID KNEW YOU TOO. I MAKE TOO MANY MARTYRS. WHO WAS THE LAST MUDBLOOD YOU SENT TO AZKABAN INSTEAD OF THE GRAVE? IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR LIFE, DON'T FIND XAVIER.

Her friends had to be worried sick, but they could find her with the blood map. It would take some time though. The map wouldn't be detailed enough without attaching a more specific map. And if they hadn't been in this area before, it would be hard to Apparate here.

Once Xavier returned, she needed to stall for time. And right now she needed to get out of this godforsaken immobility spell.

It was like breaking free from sleep paralysis. Her fingertips gained feeling first, and she twitched and flexed them until her hand recovered, and then her wrist and arm. She grabbed at the coffee table for some purchase. Then something on it caught her attention.

She picked it up. It was a pile of bound papers — a huge list of people wanted by the Ministry, open to a certain page.

GETAWAY, AURORA - 17, Hogwarts student
white, female, brunette, brown eyes
~ 5'3" / 8 stone 7

9 Ardour Gardens
Manchester, UK

Threat Level:
LOW

WANTED FOR:
Failure to register Muggle-born status
Theft of magical power
Terrorismaided the 'Student Alliance' (refer to B.8) and 'Dumbledore's Army' (B.1)
Smuggling of illegal materials (D.42)

Drew's was exactly the same. Accompanying both were cut-outs of a blurry class photo from last year, but Aurora's face was crossed out in black.

This was ridiculous, Drew scoffed. What part of learning innocent spells and textbooks was criminal enough for Azkaban? Let alone terrorism? Also, she was taller than that.

She got her other arm free and flipped through the book, searching. What the older man had said about Sebastian disturbed her, but she couldn't remember the prefect's last name.