24. Snape the Dance Master

It was the Welcome Feast of October 30th, when the method of choosing the champions for the Tournament would be revealed.

The teachers had decorated the Great Hall overnight. Enormous silk banners hung from the walls, each of them representing a Hogwarts House. Behind the teachers' table, the largest banner of all bore the Hogwarts coat of arms.

Durmstrang and Beauxbatons were probably a little overwhelmed.

The two schools had arrived this morning — Beauxbatons in a flying-horse-drawn carriage the size of a large house, and Durmstrang in a massive ship from their very own lake.

The students of Beauxbatons sat with the Ravenclaws, while the Durmstrang students made their way to the Slytherins. Viktor Krum was among them, and Graham Montague fainted when the Bulgarian Seeker sat next to him.

A concerned Krum had tried to wake him up, but was interrupted when Malfoy leant forward and began to obviously smarm up to him. "My name's Draco Malfoy, you may know my father..."

"He's embarrassing us," Drew moaned, wishing Pansy would get the ferret to shut his mouth.

Wilby shrugged, "At least Krum can see straight through him."

Drew studied the Seeker and tried to figure out why people were so obsessed. Okay, maybe she'd care more if she'd actually seen the Quidditch World Cup — Cyndee had gotten tickets — but things had evidently not gone according to plan this summer.

Anyway, Drew wasn't as enthusiastic about the sport anymore. She'd really only tried to join because she was in her violent competitive phase and wanted to make a point, but she didn't feel the need anymore. Now she just wanted prize money.

Drew finished eating quite fast, restless for the Feast to end so that the Tournament would officially open.

"The Beauxbatons students are stealing all the French dishes," Millicent said tartly. She indicated with her head a girl with long silvery-blonde hair who was marching to their table with a determined expression.

She was unnaturally beautiful, and Drew had to tear her eyes away to avoid looking creepy like half the Slytherins were. She was reminded of Eliza, which made her uncomfortable.

Gracelyn was in the aisle Rennervating her younger brother, and the blonde girl impatiently tapped her shoulder, "Excuse me." It was clear she wanted to pass.

The prefect nearly dropped Graham into a plate of Swedish meatballs, but he woke up just in time.

"Sorry," Gracelyn squeaked to both her brother and the girl, dashing back to her seat next to Xavier. She elbowed him severely, "Look at her — she must be a veela. Xavier, look —"

Irritated, the Head Boy pushed her arm away, "I'm taken. Not my type. Stop it."

Drew turned to Cyndee, "What's a veela?"

Cyndee waved her fork around, "They're semi-humans that dance to entrance you, and when they're angry they grow wings and throw flames at you. They're Bulgaria's mascots."

Drew frowned, "That's not fair."

"She's not one though — not pretty enough. But it's definitely possible that she's related to one."

" 'Not pretty enough'," Drew muttered, watching the possible veela take a platter of blancmange from their table. Cyndee's standards were a little high.

Wilby's were probably too low, because he was looking at Drew instead.

* ° * ° *