11. Isabell Reveals the Obvious

In the Hogwarts Library, Drew savagely tore a page off her copy of A History of Magic.

Cyndee jumped and stared at her with shocked blue eyes. Drew just shrugged, rolled it into a little ball of bore, and flicked it behind her. "I hate that page. I hate this whole book."

Wilby got up and scooped it up, because he was feeling rather green instead of blue. He carefully unfurled it, "International Warlock Convention of 1289?"

"Boring," Drew waved a hand. "I needed that page out of my life." Then she flipped the vandalized book closed, as Madam Pince was prowling by, pointy nose in the air.

"But isn't that..." Cyndee trailed off, then picked up again, "...homework?"

"Not anymore. And I don't need your notes, Wilby, I'm on a train of failure and I'm not getting off."

He stifled a laugh, and Madam Pince spun around and shushed him.

"Sorry," he whispered, even bowing his head a little.

"Why are you so apologetic all the time?" Drew moaned.

Cyndee stared up at the ceiling, "It's so bright here."

Drew rolled her eyes at her and scoffed. She'd discovered that Cyndee often did that. That is, spin an entire topic around like she'd been somewhere else the entire time. "You usually do homework in your room. Of course the library would seem bright to you." She stabbed a period at the end of her last sentence and stuffed the parchment in between her Charms textbook. "Done."

"There's still Transfiguration," Wilby informed her.

She wrinkled her nose. That subject was hard. "I'll do it during class tomorrow. Remind me. And if you forget, I'll jinx your face off."

Wilby made a "wow" gesture that looked minorly sarcastic.

She made the hand motion right back and he dropped his hands, smiling.

* ° * ° *

The three went back to the dungeons at half past eight.

Drew allowed Cyndee a piece of their secret food stash from the kitchen, which they'd kept in a sealed bag jammed under the seat of a broken chair.

Cyndee seemed happier after that.

An hour later, after the showers, she and Drew said goodnight to Wilby and strolled through the stone hallway into their dormitory.

The first thing Drew noticed was that the extra bed had an unacceptable amount of Isabell's things.

See, since there were only four girls in their dorm instead of five, there had been one unoccupied bed. In a brief moment of truce, the girls had decided to share it.

Millicent turned the space under the bed into a place for her cat. Isabell and Drew each had half of the actual bed.

Cyndee hadn't gotten a say in this deal, and now Drew felt bad.

Putting that guilt aside for the moment, she stepped in front of Isabell.

"You're blocking me," Isabell snapped.

"Move your things," Drew said evenly. "Your horrid potions and jars are taking up three-fourths of the space."

"They're perfumes, peasant."

"Right," Drew said, disbelieving. "Whatever they are, just move them."

Isabell gazed at Drew with cold brown eyes. "You, have a disgusting amount of junk on this bed. I have items that require more careful and organized placement than yours."