35. White for the Phoenix

Nothing happens in 6th year unless you're Harry Potter, so I changed that. Enjoy

And I'm sorry that updates are slow — they will continue to be. I'm very distracted by college 😭

It was nearly midnight. Drew and Wilby were on their way back from stealing potions ingredients, and they made a stop at the kitchens for pastries before returning.

The stone hallway held silence until they heard the senior Slytherin prefects clomping down the stairs behind them. They were the chill ones, so Drew stopped to greet them.

Sebastian lowered his sunglasses. "Where are you going, bruv?"

"Back to bed," Drew smiled innocently. "We just got croissants."

He made finger guns. "Nice."

Valeria had a habit of dramatically flicking her shimmery silver scarf behind her every time it slipped forward, which was often. She flipped it now. "Wowww, again? Come along then. You should be studying for exams instead of wandering, Drew. The almighty Brian decreed that students shouldn't be out —"

Drew was confused. "Wait, who's Brian?"

Valeria smirked. "Prof Dumbledore. It's one of his middle names. I call him that and I'm sure he loooves it." She raised her eyebrows, "Sooo what will it take for me to not tell on you to my pal Brian?"

Drew presented a paper bag from her sleeve. "Wilby and I got you two a Welsh cake."

"My oh my," Valeria said, lips curving up into a grin. "Bribing me, are we? Thanks, you two." She split the cake with Sebastian and used her scarf to dust sugar off herself.

"One day," Drew declared, "when you're really successful, you'll remember me and be grateful. Maybe give me some money."

Sebastian snarfed down the dessert. "Thank Merlin that this 16-year-old girl who doesn't know me thinks I will be successful." He winked, "And right you are."

He tripped on a loose stone and barely caught himself. "Brian's biscuits! I really can't see in these sunglasses."

"Take them off then!" Valeria laughed. "There's no sun in the dungeons, weirdo."

"Alright alright."

Drew noticed the brand as he tucked it into his collar. "Did you hear that last year, the head of Gucci was killed by a hitman hired by his wife?"

Sebastian's eyes, which Drew was seeing for the first time, widened as his jaw dropped. "WHAT? Tell me more!"

Wilby cut in. "Guys, the door is open."

They had neared the common room, and the door was indeed wide open. Beyond it was dead silence. Okay, that was... weird. The sounds of talking should be echoing off all the walls.

Valeria frowned and marched ahead. "This was the number one rule —"

She had just cleared the doorway when purple light blasted her into the wall. Ash exploded from where she was hit, and she collapsed with her face twisted with fear.

"Get back!" Sebastian ordered, shoving Wilby behind him. "Go and warn the Hufflepuffs!"

A tall hooded man stepped out, dressed in black robes and a silver skull mask. A Death Eater? Here? She froze and felt Wilby tense. Neither of them had ever seen one in real life before. At least, not one that was trying to kill them.

Sebastian reached for his wand, but the man moved faster. A massive vacuum of air propelled them forward. Drew lost her balance as the oxygen was sucked out of her lungs, and all four of them tumbled into the common room.