Chapter 9: Are You Serious

1 week till wedding

Alice

Rose and Mom have arranged to have a bridal shower at my parent's home. Mom asked me to go to her house bright and early. She mentioned that she has something for me. I opened the front door and my grandma Marliyn was there to greet me.

"Hi baby. How are you?" She pulled me into a big hug.

"Hi Grandma. I am doing just fine." I hook my arm around hers. She guided me to the backyard. She opened the glass door and there stood my older brother Robert. I was shocked. The next second I tackle him down on the grass.

"WHEN DID YOU GET HERE?" I shouted out to him.

"Hey Al. Can you use your inside voice please? You are screaming too loud... I got here this morning." he told me as he was talking to one of his students.

"I am so happy. Why didn't you tell me you were coming?"

"Hey I couldn't miss out on my little sister's wedding. Mom and dad wanted me to come and surprise you." Laughing he pulled me up back onto my feet. He looks almost the same. With his ashy light brown hair grew longer, light brown eyes. His skin was slightly tanner now. For the past two years my brother has been in Nepal teaching children English. With the excitement of seeing my brother here I didn't even notice the backyard. There is a large white tent with the table setting for my bridal shower. It is so beautiful and girly. There are cute white lace umbrellas hanging on top of the tent. The table setting is so adorable. It reminds me of when I was younger, when I would have tea parties with my mom. There was one really long table that probably sits about twenty- five people or so. The table has a light baby green tablecloth with a pretty white table runner that has pink floral print. In each seat there is a white plate with a pink rose with green ribbon tied to the stem. The table centerpieces are different flowers with a teapot with cute light pink pearls. This was the ultimate tea party with all my friends and family.

"How do you like it sweetie?" Grandma asked.

"I love it is so beautiful." I went up to the table admiring the little details.

"I am so happy to hear that," she replied.

"Alice turn around," Robert asked. I turned around and Brenda was hiding behind Robert. My brother and Brenda married three years ago right before Robert went off to Nepal.

"HEYYY!" I walked over to her to hug her but when she stepped out behind Robert and I looked down to get a good look at her and she had a small baby bump. "OMG! Are you serious! When did this happen... How far along are you?" I blabbered out more questions.

"Hi Alice. Your parents had the same reaction... and I am about 5 months along. Robert and I wanted to surprise all of you." She said as she rubs her baby belly.

"Congrats! Do you know if it is a boy or a girl?" I question them.

"It is a boy." Robert replied excitedly with a big smile on his face.

"Aw... I am going to be an aunt. And both of them are going to be parents. And mom and dad are going to be grandparents. OMG grandma is going to be a great grandma. This is too much for one morning." I laughed.

Mom called me into the living room. She hands me a bright purple gift bag.

"What is this for?" I asked her.

"Something for today. I want you to wear it today." She said, I take the white gift tissue paper out and I pull out a dress. It's a cute short white dress with a little lace in shapes of flowers. Setting the dress on a chair. I pulled out more tissue paper and there is a pair of dusty pale blue heels. There is also a small white box opening . It has two different types of bracelets.

"Mom. Thank you. I love it so much." I walked over to her, giving her a big hug. "This is a better outfit than what I picked out to wear today." I added.

"Now that you have your outfit and the bridal shower is set. Go on now upstairs to your room and get ready. Your guest should be arriving shorty."

My room looked too empty. There is no trace of me of my belongings or that I lived in this room all my life. As always I lay down my outfit on my bed. I curl my hair and brush it out a little so it can have a loose wave look.

My makeup is pretty simple. Mascara, eyeliner, some blush. I look back at my reflection and I am missing something. Oh I know lipstick. I lightly add some pale pink shade of lipstick. I was all set.

The front door bell rang over and over. Those must be the guests arriving. I opened the door from my room and I heard lots of chit chatting. Yup I am correct, people are here. I closed the door and quickly changed into my outfit. Oh I love this dress. It's bright outside and the weather was perfect. It was not too hot and not too cold. Walking outside I saw some of my family that I haven't seen in such a long time. I greeted everyone outside and sat next to my friends. Everyone is dressed as if we are at a tea party, with cute dresses with floral prints. Some of the guests were unfamiliar. Rose introduces me to the Jamerson's family and friends. Most of the guests ask me to show them the ring that he "gave" me. I showed them the ring and their eyes widened. Others ask me about how I met James. I just have to roll with the punches and make up some story of how we met.

My grandma called us over to sit at the table to eat. After eating the bridal shower games begin. This is the first bridal shower I have been to. I just sat back and watched everyone play. Before anyone noticed me I went inside the house. I had bought favors for the guest to take. As I walked into the house I saw my brother walking outside to the front door. I tried to be as quiet as I could to scare him. But I get stopped in my tracks. Robert is talking to someone I hid behind a wall. I heard James's voice. Backed up to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Hey I know this is a crazy situation. I had to go through this when I was about her age. How are you and my sister doing? You know living with each other?" Robert asked James.

"So you know about the situation?" James' voice sounded surprised.

"I have been wanting to talk to you about Alice. I am protective of her. I know that she just broke up with her boyfriend not that long ago. She didn't mention why they broke up and she is not one to talk about her ex. So I am guessing the breakup didn't go well. I am sure you know what it is like... Protecting a little sister. Right? I don't want to be the one to start a problem, but I want you to treat my sister with respect. You are probably sure you have experienced her feistiness by now. If I do hear that you haven't been treating her without respect. You will be dealing with me."

My eyes grew. His words "you will be dealing with me" replayed in my head.

"Nah it's all good. I am the same with my sister. I would have said the same thing to the person who would marrying my sister. Don't worry about it."

I peek out the door and they gave each other a hug.

"Welcome the family." Robert said to James.

I cannot believe what I just over hear and witnessed.   

*****

Vote, Comment, Share

-XO