Chapter 21: Looks are so Deceiving

I want to dedicate this chapter the wonderful Lindsayhonaker for always voting in every chapter I upload. :)

*****

Friday afternoon

Friday afternoon

My girls were coming over and I was finally going to tell them about being arranged. Maybe this talk with them would give them answers to the questions they had from the beginning. I went outside to the backyard porch and played with my favorite dog Max, who suddenly started to bark.

"What is wrong Max?" Trying to calm him down by petting him, the doorbell started to ring several times. That must be my friends, because ringing the bell just once isn't enough for them. Skipping my way to the front door Max beats me to the punch. He started to bark louder and jumped on the door

"Max! Stop! ... Sit!" He does as I commanded him. "Good boy." James had been teaching when he had time.

I walked over to the door opening for my friends welcoming them in. Mindy went straight to Max petting him. She is such an animal person. We walked to the lake where there is a large rectangle wooden dock with several chairs and a bonfire in the middle. There was slight movement from the slow moving water underneath us. It was a beautiful evening as the sun was about to set.

"This is awesome Alice." Reece sat on one of the chairs near the fire. "Anyone will kill to have this as their backyard."

I agreed.

I was pretty lucky.

"I have ordered pizza that should get here any minute. I have ordered everyone's favorite."

"Where is James?" Ashley asked.

"Uhm he is probably with his friends or out with a girl." I nonchalantly shrugged my shoulders not phased with the question. But I knew that they caught that.

"A girl?!" Mindy had a confused look. The doorbell rang again. Saved by the bell. "Hold that thought for a second. That must be the pizza."

I pay the delivery guy and walk back outside with plates and drinks.

"Tell us! With a girl? Why are you not mad?" Reece states as she puts a slice of pizza on her plate.

Once I brought the food out, I explained to them the whole situation about James and I. I explained to them when I came home and had the Jamersons for dinner, blinded by the news of the deal being arranged, and the times I found him with another woman here at my new home and while on our honeymoon. They swore to secrecy that they wouldn't tell a soul from what I told them. When I looked up to their faces they all had confused and mad. I was relieved that I didn't have to keep this secret to myself any longer, but also they must have so many questions.

 I was relieved that I didn't have to keep this secret to myself any longer, but also they must have so many questions