Ch. 1 Rock

As the school bell rang loudly in our ears, I joined my friend to talk on our way to our last class.

"Just one more bell, Rock!" Michael was practically giddy with excitement.

"Yep. Just one more and then we finally buy that thing with our own money."

"Rated by critics to be the-"

"Best game of the year!" I finished. We continued to babble on about it for a while. As we did, I heard a familiar voice cry out.

"Whoa, guys. Watch it. I've been cleaning here. It's a little slippery." 

"Oh. Thanks, Pump Man." I replied. Pump Man was a janitorial robot put in our school. He had been there for a while. I had gotten to know him, and he was pretty cool.

While I had been with him, Michael had gotten far ahead of me. "Rock! Hurry up!" He called to me.

"Be right there, buddy!" I turned to Pump Man. "See ya around!"

I took after Michael.  Unfortunately, about halfway there, a familiar shadow blocked my path.

"Well well, shorty. Awfully lucky I could see you down there."

I sighed in frustration. "Hi, Dex. What's up?"

"Not much, just wondering if I could guide you down the hall. You need someone to get people to notice you." He laughed.

In case you aren't catching on from all the short jokes, I didn't grow well. I just about stopped around 4'7 or so. I didn't have many problems, as really the only person that much bigger than me was-you guessed it-Dex.

"No thanks, Dex."

"Aw, come on!" He fake-whined while grabbing me and thrusting me ahead of him. He carried me forward about four steps before he suddenly swung me to the side.

My head smashed into a wall of lockers. I thought I saw something flash in my vision for a moment, and I bent over against the wall as I heard Dex laugh. "Oops!" His voice echoed in my ears as he walked off. I turned away from the wall to see Michael standing there with his hand ready to pick me up. As he helped me, I felt something strange in my head, and another strange image in my vision, but I chalked it up to dizziness as the feeling quickly subsided.

"Thanks, man." I nodded to him.

"Don't mention it. You alright?"

I winced as I felt my head. "Yeah. I'm fine. Come on, let's get moving."

---

Finally, the bell rang to end the last class of the day. Michael was already pulling me out of the room by my arm. 

"Dude! Slow down!"

"Come on, we gotta make it fast!"

"Will you please-" I stopped as I saw Pump Man finishing work ahead. "Michael, wait!"

I felt a foot land in the puddle. I lost traction, and I felt my feet go out from under me. My head struck the ground and I blacked out.

---

My eyes barely opened for a moment. My mom sat above me, looking at my eyes. I strained, and eventually felt my eyes stay open. I groaned as I also began to feel a slight pounding in my head. "Hi, Rock. How are you?"

"Ugh, fine, I guess. What happened?"

"You slipped at school. Michael called me. Are you sure you're alright? You were knocked unconscious."

"Really, I don't feel too bad."

"Well, why don't you just stay in bed for now, and tell me if you need anything."

"Sure. Sure..." I sighed as I closed my eyes. After a while, I woke up and still felt some throbbing in my brain. I struggled out of bed, and wobbled to the bathroom. I rested myself over the sink as I got a look at myself. Everything looked fine. But the throbbing was continuing stronger. I clutched my head as I tried to bear the strange pain. I could see something flashing in my vision.

Suddenly, it stopped. The pain subsided, and I opened my eyes. However, something met my vision. Several strange holographic looking displays, kind of like in the movies. I turned my head, and the display followed my movement. I reached out, but nothing was there. Terrified, I fell backwards and tried to wrap my mind around what the heck was happening. I then did what any sane person would do in a situation like that.

"Mom!!"

-Later-

As we got into an elevator, I was almost trembling. I turned to mom.

"What are we doing here?"

She sighed. "We're here to see some one. Someone who can tell you about...yourself. I've...known him for a while."

We stepped out of the elevator. A woman sat at a reception desk. She smiled at us. "Hello, welcome to Light Labs. Dr. Light will see you inside."

"Huh?" I said. "Who is this guy?"

As we walked inside, I was quickly silenced. The room was filled with various machines. There was lots of beeping, and technology I had never seen before. I was amazed. I heard footsteps, and saw a girl walk into the room. She had blonde hair in a ponytail with a green bow, and wore a red dress. She smiled at me. I blushed and probably anime-style sweat dropped.  "Hi, my name is Roll. Nice to meet you. It's good to see you, Rock."

"Whoa, wait, how do you know my name?" I asked, before more footsteps sounded, and a man in a white lab coat. His hair was white, and he had a bright smile on his face. 

"Cindy! It's good to see you!" He walked over to my mom. They shook hands, and I stood back as they caught up for about 5 minutes. I quickly grew impatient.

"Ahem."

They stopped for a moment before the man replied. "So Rock...knows?"

"A little bit. I figured you would explain better."

"Explain WHAT better?" I asked.

The man sighed. "Sorry, Rock. Nice to meet you. My name is Doctor Thomas Light. I...need to explain something to you."

"You see, multiple years ago, I was working with a man in robotics studies. He was an effective ally in my studies, but we eventually drifted apart. Well, that's not important right now. Anyway, I worked to perfect robots with human capacities. Able to think and function people. After a few, uh, prototypes...I made something that was my...my greatest success." He looked to me. "That success was you."

"W-what?"