Ch. 8 The Ice Man Cometh Part 3

I was getting fidgety.

"Light, are you almost done?"

"You aren't making this any quicker." He replied, studying my arm carefully. I twisted my other hand around, turning it into a few different weapons just to busy myself. In the midst, it sparked, and I subtly turned it back into a hand while trying not to look guilty.

After a few more minutes of studying, he looked up. "Well this is wonderful."

"Really?"

"No, it's an expression!"

"Oh, okay, I just never really imagined you as the sarcastic type."

"It seems that when you activated the electrical energy surge in Ice Man's ice, the encasement caused the energy to travel through your systems and shut down your weapons."

"Oh. That kind of wonderful."

"It'll take me a few hours to get it repaired with this." He held up a strange device somewhat like a large glove.

Michael walked over towards the door. "I gotta get home. Hey Rock, I'll get you that homework that's due tomorrow while I'm at it."

"Thanks." I watched as the device was fitted onto my arm. I felt a tingle, then my arm went numb. 

Light sighed and walked towards a window. "I need to get work done. I'm going to my office. Just hang out. I left the TV on."

He left, and I was alone with Roll.

"..." I tried to figure out a conversation starter.

It failed.

"So... I guess I'll go to see if I'm needed." She walked away.

"Great. That only ended up marginally terrible."

I grabbed the remote, and turned on the TV. I scrolled through some channels. Of course, there wasn't much to see given the time, but I found a news channel, which had some apparently urgent news. 

"In a surprising turn of events, the mysterious figure who froze a large section of the city seems to have returned, keeping a large number of people hostage at the local museum. It is unknown what further intentions they have, and no ransom demands have been made yet. We will bring you details as they come."

I rolled my eyes. I had to get out there. I removed the glove, with a bit of a zap as I took it off, but other than it seemed fine. I snuck to the elevator and went down.

---

I walked into the museum silently. I figured the way to beat him was to get the element of surprise. I got into a position out of view where I could see most of the main area. All the people were huddled together in a cluster, almost all of them were looking towards the top of the stairs.

Ice Man was up there, sitting on a bench, spinning a piece of ice on his finger. He seemed distracted. I snuck behind exhibits, reaching the back end of the museum. I swung myself over the railing. I carefully pulled myself along the railing behind him. As I was getting closer, I prepared to jump him.

Suddenly, my hand sparked, shocking me, and I dropped. I hit the ground hard and loud. Ice Man stopped and turned. He chuckled, then hopped down next to me.

"Well, well, if it isn't the blue blunder out to stop me." He chuckled as he came up close to me. His hand started to release an icy mist. "Are you rethinking that decision, soldier?"

"I'll just have to see how it turns out first." I grunted. I swung my legs around, knocking him on his back. He growled as he got up and fired a shot at me. I barely dodged it, getting myself up and closing distance. At close range, he was forced to resort to physical combat, which he unfortunately was good at as well. He countered several direct attacks, and didn't get hit much.

I fell backwards as a solid shot hit me in the gut. I winced, trying to think of a way out of this scenario. I felt something under my hand. I looked subtly over. It was someone's phone. I looked over at the people in the crowd, who all looked like they expected me to do something

Ice Man walked up and charged a final shot.

"Farewell, soldier."

I threw the phone through the air as he fired the shot. It struck the phone, stopping it quickly and causing it to drop to the ground. As he looked in surprise, I rushed him. He fired another shot directly towards me. I swung an arm around, intercepting the shot and freezing my arm, then swung it back into his face. The ice shattered from the blow, and Ice Man collapsed.

I stood over him, not moving. Eventually, my monitor began to display.

Deactivated robot detected. Activating protocol. Scanning...scan complete. Ice Slasher copied.

I sighed as I relaxed. I turned around.

Everyone was still just kind of standing there.

"It's all right now. You can go."

No one moved.

I sighed. I turned and ran off to the side of the museum to leave through a side exit.

---

I arrived back at the building exhausted. I sat back down on the table and slipped the glove back onto my arm.

A light turned on as soon as I did so.

"Oh." I sighed, shifting on the table. "I'm in trouble, aren't I?"