Ch. 24: Eight is Greater Than Six

A brief beeping filling my ears alerted me to the fact that I was finally awake. I watched my vision return slowly, the bright light in my face initially blinding me.

I heard Dr. Light's voice in my ear, asking me, "Rock? Rock, can you hear me?"

I opened my mouth, which seemed a little stiff. "Yeah." I weakly replied.

Another voice, which I didn't recognize came from somewhere else in the room. "Well, it's about time. So this is Mega Man..."

I looked away from the light and saw Dr. Light (Author Note:That sounded really dumb. I apologize.) looking back at me. "What...what happened? How long was I out?" I sat up slightly and saw a strange robot I had never seen before. He was roughly as tall as me, and had a similar color scheme. He had a pump like cannon on one arm, and a red scarf covered the lower half of his face.

"And who's that guy?" I added.

"The name's Oil Man. Nice to meet ya." He nodded.

"Okay. What else did I miss?"

Light sat down. "It's quite a long story. And that reminds me, there's something I wanted to talk to you about."

The look on his face had me worried. "Is everything all right?"

He looked back at me, and simply answered, "It's about Tempo."

---

She lay completely still. The lack of any life in her was haunting. 

"Is she okay?" I asked out of instinct.

"That's the thing, Rock. She's perfectly fine. She was affected just like you."

I tried to process everything. "But, you said it was an..."

Light nodded slowly, and reached down to her stomach area. With a sudden movement, it opened up before my eyes.

"What the..." Michael stuttered, preventing any possible stunned silence.

Inside the panel Light had lifted up were several wires and blank displays. Where it was located created one of the most horrifying things I had ever seen.

"She's...a robot." I murmured, still staring at the jumble of machinery that was evidently my girlfriend.

"But...I mean...how did you know before you just pried her open like that?" Michael asked. "Some kind of special robot energy detector thing?"

"Don't be ridiculous. I ran a metal detector over her."

"Oh yeah. That actually makes a lot more sense."

"Exactly. Nothing can find out a robot better than a good old metal-" I cut Dr. Light off with a deadly serious glare.

He cleared his throat. "I'm not sure why whoever created her would need to use her, but I will try to find out. In the meantime, I don't want you to think too hard about this. Besides, we have something important going on that will take your mind off things for a while."

I let out a sigh and relaxed a little. "And what is that?" I asked.

"That would be us, pipsqueak." A familiar husky voice sounded from nearby. I spun around to see Guts Man and the Robot Masters standing in the doorway. Elec Man strolled over and took his place beside them, and there they stood in all their...glory.

"Guys!" I exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"We got a talk we gotta attend." Bomb Man told me. "Something I'm told is very important." He looked over at Dr. Light, nodded.