Ch. 9 Rock Jump Over the Candlestick Part 1

I smiled as I twisted my wrists. I finally had my weapons back online, and I was happy. I was experimenting a little, and I saw a flash of movement behind me, and Roll cried out.

I instinctively spun around and fired the Ice Slasher at the target. I nailed it, realizing unfortunately late that it was just Roll's broom. It froze solid, and when it landed it hit the ground and shattered.

My eyes widened. I put my hands behind my back and smiled sheepishly. "Whoops."

She rolled her eyes and walked away.

I adjusted my weapon and shrugged. "Maybe I'll just, uh, go home."

"Yeah. That would probably be smart." Michael nodded.

"He's right, you know!" Roll called from Light's office. I sighed. I grabbed my jacket, bid Michael goodbye, and got on my bike to go home.

I showed up at the house in about 10 minutes. I walked in and dropped my keys in the basket. "Hey Mom. I'm back." I called out. I walked towards my room when she stepped out from another room.

"Hi. How's my little guy?"

"This little guy just threw a tree at the exact opposite of a pyromaniac." I replied.

She chewed her lip. "Yeah, I saw. I'm not extremely comfortable with this, you know. You shouldn't be out there. You don't have any experience, there are other people with better training."

"Yeah, but they can't to take on robots. I can. I am one." I sighed and sat down on my bed.

Mom sat down beside me and put her hand around my shoulder. "Hey, I'm sorry I didn't tell you about that."

"It's fine, it's just..." I looked at her. "You know, just about every kid, at some point, wishes they were a hero, you know? That they could be able to do the things I can. But...I actually am. And it's nothing like anyone thinks. It's hard. I honestly have thought I was gonna die several times. And then there's the fact that I just found out I'm not even human. Never was. It just messes with you, you know?"

"Robot or not, you are my son, and I'm never gonna let you forget that." She smiled as she ruffled my hair.

"Thanks. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Getting to bed already?"

"Yeah. Long day."

"Well, alright. Good night, I guess then."

"Yeah. Good night."

I sighed and lay down on my bed. Somehow, I could still somehow fall asleep normally. I bet I could turn that off.

I turned over in bed. I wondered just what I couldn't probably turn off.

---

I felt the signals again. Didn't really need to, he was all over the news now. Wily's robots got him there, and his pitifully lucky confrontations were keeping him on the front page. I watched the footage in the window tvs of an electronics store. It was him. Fighting the one with the ice pellets or whatever. He wasn't doing amazing. Sure, it might look great to anyone watching the news, but to any idiot who knows what they're doing, it was obvious he was clueless.

People had started calling him things. Blue Boy. Cobalt Blue (before copyright issues shut that one down). The Blue Bomber. Whatever you called him, people were noticing.

"Awfully interesting, isn't it?" A voice sounded behind me.

"Huh?" I spun around quickly. At first the glare on my sunglasses made it a little difficult to see, but I quickly made it out to be just an ordinary woman. "Oh. I guess it is."

"He kinda reminds me of that red guy people have been talking about."

"I can see where you get that." I almost chuckled.

"Hmm...I dunno what to make of it yet. I don't think anyone does."

"You're probably right." I lied. I knew exactly what to make of it. I walked off down the street. I threw my scarf back over my shoulder. I pulled out my collapsible helmet. I stepped into an alleyway.

"You have no idea what you've done, Light. It's never gonna end until they have him. He may seem new and fresh, but I will put Rock in his place. For all our sakes."

---

I opened my eyes drearily. I got up and grabbed my stuff. I ate a quick breakfast, and headed out to school. Along the way, Michael showed up.

"Hey man! How you doing?"

"Alright, I guess." I shrugged.

"That's cool. Dude. I've been thinking. You ought to go public."

"What?" I stopped for a second. "No!"

"Hey, I'm not saying with your identity or anything, but I just think you should do some press. It might boost the image."

"I dunno. Letting people know even a little bit can go really bad."

"Come on, you gotta take advantage of what you got, man."

"It's not that simple."

He sighed. "Okay, suit yourself, but I still-"

I heard an explosion. I looked over, and saw a car flaming. People were looking over quickly. A figure leapt on top of the car, standing tall amidst the flames.

"LLLLLLADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!" He yelled, taking a bow, "This Flame is ready to cook!"

Me and Michael looked silently in shock. He started to whisper.

"So, you wanna go-"

"Yeah. Right." I replied. I stepped away and ducked away behind a wall. I grabbed my helmet and put it on. The rest of my suit generated, and my visuals reappeared. I left the backpack and leapt into action.

I dropped in nearby. "Well, well. What have we got here?"

He turned, and I got a good look. He was mostly in white, with an orange-red chestplate, arm pieces, and leg bands. He had a silver head piece, with a large flame burning above it.

"Oh, if it isn't little blue. Nice to meet ya. Name's FIRE MAN!!"

"Really? You couldn't even think of something better? Like, I dunno, Human Torch or something?"

Hey, Rock, try to avoid mentioning Marvel names. I don't even have the rights to use you, much less the Fantastic Four.

"Fine. Sorry, Writer."

No problem. Keep doing what you're doing.

"Why you little-" He held up an arm and released a fireball in my direction. I leapt out of the way. He moved and fired another shot. I ducked and rolled under a car to get away. I could hear him growl. "Come out and fight! I wanna toast ya!"

I loaded the Super Arm and put my hand underneath a car. I thrust my hand up and the car flipped towards him. He made a loud grunt as it slammed into him and carried him into a wall. I smiled and looked up towards the people. Everyone was looking in shock. I looked back at the car. "Oh. Insurance'll cover that. I'm like 60% sure."

-Author Note-

Hey guys. Sorry about the long wait. I was kind of losing motivation for this story, but seeing how popular it's becoming I'm sure I'll be continuing. Thanks so much guys!