Ch. 31 Does it Make a Sound?

We hit the ground a bit hard, as I hadn't tried to make our landing very soft. Granted, that can be difficult to do if you are more concerned with dodging an incoming projectile. I donned my armor in an instant.

Tempo got up quickly, and let out a small yelp when the rabbit targeted her again. I got up on one knee and fired a series of rapid shots into its body. It was distracted from launching an attack, and I pulled her over to the side quickly. 

ATOMIC FIRE LOADED.

I smiled a little. "I like the sound of that."

I fired two quick shots, which formed small fireballs upon use. They flew towards the robot and burst, quickly destroying it.

I made my way over to Tempo, putting my hand on her shoulder. "I have to do this now. Just head back, and I'll try to get this over with as soon as possible."

No sooner had I finished saying that when a series of bat like robots flew overhead, before beginning to circle around us. They did small dives, trying to either ram us or grab something. They were moving around too randomly to be targeted, and they were moving just fast enough that I couldn't hit any out of the air.

I decided I would have to try firing shots rapidly. It would be the best chance of taking them out. I tried firing three times as quickly as I could, but they were dodged again, and I felt one hit me from behind, knocking me down to the ground.

I grunted as I got up, rubbing my head through my messy hair.

Wait. My hair?

I looked around quickly, and saw one of the bats clutching my helmet as it flew along, slightly slower than the others now. They were now starting to fly off deeper into the woods. I rushed forward and fired an unassisted shot at the bat with the helmet. I hadn't fired without the aiming system in a long time, but this shot managed to be on point.

The blast flew quickly, and right as it approached its target, it was intercepted by another bat. This one fell to the ground, and the others went on.

"Dang it!" I growled. However, the only option I had was to go after them. I turned to Tempo and told her, "Please, just go." Before quickly following where the bats had gone.

---

After a while, the forest changed, losing its natural feel to some extent, as elements of the forest became more extreme. I was forced to drop into a very large hollowed out tree, inside which were two fire-breathing robot dogs (and if they weren't called Hot Dogs, I would really lose some hope for Dr. Wily), and a few other bats and a rabbit. After climbing for a while into the tree, I came out near the top, where a series of small bamboo platforms had been precariously suspended between the tree I had been in, and one directly across from it.

The platforms swung badly enough, but as I stepped on each one, I came under attack from strange birds that flew across before dropping an egg, which, upon breaking, released several smaller versions which would swarm me. I managed to keep myself together and not fall, making it to the other side of the gap and entering the next tree.

It was mostly a straight downward descent, winding down a sort of staircase in the tree where a series of the rabbit robots waited, which would have been very easy to take out if I had the gravity prone Bubble Lead.

Once I beat the last rabbit, I jumped down and fell a short distance, before landing on what seemed like the actual ground again. I began walking, when suddenly, a sound from above drew my attention. I glanced up as a large robot much like a roadrunner dropped from the trees, landing on top of me and rushing off without a thought.