Chapter 3: A Strong Family

My nerves got the best of me as my uncle pulled away. It had been two years since i saw Roselita. I'd been busy with my two year business degree, and she was busy raising her now two year old baby. Roselita was nineteen and her baby's father was twenty-two and named Mario. He was the guy in the hood girls went weak in the knees for. Between keeping track of him and her baby, who i was the nanny of, we hardly saw each other. That didn't mean we never talked. We texted all the time, had phone calls almost daily, and face-time with each other when we could. Now it was time to see my home girl face to face.

        I balled my fist up and knocked on the door of her and Mario's town home. For a second it was silent and then i heard a baby's cry. I knocked again and got an answer from a female. "Hold on, i'm coming!" I chuckled at the still smiling, still dolled up, 5'7 girl i'd known and hung with since middle school. "Oh my God you're really here!" She grabbed and hugged me and i just laughed at her excitement. "I told you i was coming over," i said plucking her arm. She plucked me back, "Yeah but its actually you in the flesh. Girl you look good! Flat tummy and thick hips! Aye dios mami tu muy caliente." she said making us both laugh.

            "Speaking of hot come on in girl! You letting all my cool air out," she joked. "It's fall Rosey, you know you need to stop. Where is baby boy at, I haven't seen my god-son since he learned to walk." As soon as i walked in a larger smile spread across my face. My other close friend/ her brother, Leonardo was standing there with a toddler in his arms. "Damn, baby girl you get shorter every time i see you!" Leornardo smiled and put his nephew down before hugging me tightly. I pinched his side when i couldn't breath, and it felt just like old times. "Ouch ma, you still got that mean streak in you huh," he joked kissing my cheek. "Alright power couple if y'all are done here, i'm gonna start lunch," Roselita joked. 

           "I'll make sure your plates to go," she finished. Her face was turned to Leonardo when she spoke. "You in a rush to go somewhere, Leo?" I used his nickname because i was a bit disappointed. "Yeah me and my partner have to take a trip out of town. Since Grim and Cat passed its been... I'm so sorry ma i wasn't thinking," Leonardo started apologizing but i stopped him with an empty chuckle. "It's okay, i bet business has been hard but i plan on making it easier on you and the rest of the Machetes," I smiled picking up the heavy baby. The baby had the same grey eyes as his father, and a curly brown bush of hair, that was softer then feathers. "What are you talking about chica? You can't join the Machetes your too young!" he fussed following me into the dining room. 

        Roselita looked up but didn't say anything, she just watched us walk through the doorway and sit at the table before going back to making the food. "Age is nothing but a number! You know as well as i do I'm more qualified than half those guys they pick up off the street, and besides i'm not going to sit at home and let the bitch nigga who murdered my parents walk away! It's not gonna happen, i'm a Miller, the last of..." "A dying breed, yeah i know," Leo sighed and looked up at me looking at him. "Does your uncle know what your up too?" I nodded. "He took me to see Butcher today, after next week i'm gonna start my three month training, which i think is a total waste of time. But it'll give me a chance to find out what my parents were last into, and show off a little," i smiled lifting the baby and tickling him.

             Baby, Miguel giggled making a genuine smile spread onto my face. "You know i'll be keeping an eye out for you, and if you need me for anything let me know. I don't wanna see anything happen to you." Leonardo leaned forward after saying that and looked up at me with his hazel brown eyes. I smiled and nodded in reassurance. He was truly like an older brother sometimes to me and i really felt like i was part of the Canas family with these two. We had all been like the three amigos up until Leonardo moved in with his sickly father four years ago. Him and Roselita shared the same mother but not the same father, yet that never kept them from having brother and sisterly love. They were actually closer to each other than any other siblings i knew.

          As of now Leo stayed in a place close to his sister and worked for Butcher as a contract killer himself. "Here estupido, your to go plate," Roselita said coming in and giving her brother a plate. "Thank you sweet sister!" He stood and leaned down to kiss her cheek. "Tell Mario i'll catch up with him later. Oh, Jamie i'm having a house party next Friday too. Make sure you slide through so  we can talk." He said taking his plate and leaving us. "I thought you bought a new condo?" Roselita called after him. "Same damn difference retard," Leo yelled back. "Blah, blah, blah," Roselita mocked him. We laughed at her immaturity and then sat down to lunch and talked for a long time. There was nothing like being back home with family.

                  Okay I'm trying to decide rather to do the next chapter tomorrow or whenever because I'm gonna be busy soon. So if i get a comment or vote ill think about it. Thanks again to @kanana90 y'all go follow her. A picture of Leonardo Canas is on the side. He's twenty-four by the way.