Chapter 13: Checkmate

I was right. My uncle was trying to kill me for being late that first day. Everyday after everyone had left practice he'd make me stay after, and over work me by making me clean up. It had only been the first two weeks and I was exhausted. The work outs he gave were ferocious, and the one on one with him felt like the real life thing. On the up side, it was funny to watch Monica get her ass kicked everyday. Though I would like to see her get punched in the face, above the neck was off limits at training. "Jamie, get your head out the clouds," my Uncle said from on side of me getting yet another cut cleaned. "I was just thinking about if i'd been too hard on you old man," I smiled and pointed to his cut. "If you were being too hard, on me l have a feeling you won't make it as a Machete." I rolled my eyes and looked at Monica near the dart area. 

      "I've got a meeting with Butcher next week. He seems very... enthusiastic to talk to me. I'm glad you've been doing great, but the last practice is the hardest." My Uncle said getting up and answering his vibrating phone. "What day do you meet with Butcher," I ask? He looks at me out the corner of his eye before walking off and out of the building. He knew I was going to pop up. "Jamie," someone says while putting their hand on the small of my back. I take a step away from the deep voice and turn to see Brian. He's a handsome guy that reminds me a lot of Common, but lighter. He has a nice build too, and stands around 5'8, but is a complete ladies man. He has tried to talk to me, Monica, and Kendra. 

     "Whats up," I ask in an uncaring tone? "You've been spending a lot of time with Danger. Do you know him or something?" For a second I just looked at him like he was speaking a different language. "Yeah I do. He and my parents trained together," I said honestly. "Ooh, that explains it all. I gotta admit I was getting a little jealous," he smiled putting his hand over his heart. "Eat your heart out," I smiled and turned my head to the warehouse door opening. My body immediately stiffened and then shivered. In walked Rico with my uncle, Leonardo, Royce, and another Machete member close behind. The Machetes in training all got up to dap them off and Monica of course went over there batting her damn eyelashes and flipping her hair. 

      I rolled my eyes and turned my attention back to Brian. "You don't care for that nigga much either i assume," Brian said with a slight grimace on his face. "Actually I've got nothing but respect for him." "Why? He's just an over-rated ass killer. Just like when they talk about Grim and Cat like they were some kind of Gods or something. Were murderer's we take people's family away and don't feel sorry about, yet end up sitting in a church on Sunday's asking our sins to be forgiven." He started, I couldn't help but look at his green eyes.They spoke volumes of tragedy, rage, hate, and I wondered, why is he here? "If there was a God he wouldn't forgive such sinners as us. People like me, Rico, Danger, and Butcher would automatically be on the straight to hell list. No way could we walk away from this and think it's all over," he growled lowly, and looked at the floor.

     "Brian, if you feel that way about killing people, why are you here," I asked placing a gentle hand on his arm. He looked at me and shrugged, "I'm already a killer, might as well get some money out of it while I can. I don't plan on being here long anyway. In and out, that's it for me." He smiled down at me and I just nodded in agreement, but couldn't help wonder what could have possibly caused him to feel this way? I started  to say something but he pulled me in close for a hug then walked off. For a second, I stood there confused until I heard a chair behind me move. "What was that," a smooth deep voice that could only belong to Rico asked? I turned and saw him sitting in the reclining chair my Uncle had just been in. "Hi, Ricardo haven't talked to you in two weeks, how are you?" the sarcasm in my voice leaked out as he kind of glared at me. 

      "You're the one with my number," he said shaking his head. "You know how to get in touch with me," I said taking a seat across from him. He gave me a look, then leaned into the space between us, making my heart speed up. "I talked to Butcher and he's pretty interested in you." "What do you mean interested?" "I'm saying he wants you to help rebuild the Machetes. So I may have put the idea out there about us being the best two Machetes he has now," Rico said before leaning back into the chair. My uncle walked over and shooed Rico out of his chair. "What are you two talking about," he asked looking over the two of us. Rico and i held our poker face, but inside knew we were making my uncle's task easier. I felt a bit better about next week, but still had an odd feeling.