Chapter 17 - Run

Kim Cheon Jae

It was the weekends and I'm spending my precious time watching K-dramas on TV. Ohh..don't forget the popcorns, leg warmers and my pillow. It's like I'm camping but in the living room. Haha.

Suddenly I heard a door cracking, I wondered who it was and I'm kinda scared too. I sat up to see whom.

"Mom?? You're not at work?" I asked.She turned to me while rubbing her red-ish eyes. Like she just woke up from bed.

"Urm.. I'm going to the airport today." She walked into the living room, took the TV remote and lowered the volume.

"Airport? Wae? Is someone coming home?" I asked.

She turned to me and sighed heavily. "I'm sorry Cheon Jae. Next week, I'm going overseas. I've got a bussiness trip in China and y-"

"Mwo?! China?! Mom, how could you!" I cut her off and my voice was, high. Yes, I'm raising my voice at my mom.

"Shh.. Jae-ah, I'm really sorry. I really wish I could bring you with me or stay here with you.. but I can't. My company need t-"

Bla bla bla. I don't care! With my health like this, how could she leave me for her job?

"-don't worry I've talked to your Halmeoni and your Harabeoji and they wi-"

I furrowed my eyebrows. Halmeoni? Harabeoji? My grandparents? They're still alive? And.. as expected, I don't have any memories about them.

"Wait mom. Harabeoji?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yes. I'm sorry dear I forgot that you're amnesia. You still have your grandparents. Your Harabeoji's name is Kim Taehyun and your Halmeoni's name is Kim Yeonhee. Their house is just a stone throw away from your school, so you can walk to school or ride a bike." said Eomma calmly.

Oh. My tears started to form in my eyes. I bit my bottom lip, trying hard not to make the tears fall.

"But mom.. "My tears fell down my cheeks and I sobbed.

She stood from the couch she was and took a seat beside me. She pulled me in her arms and stroked my back gently, trying to comfort me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make my baby girl cry. Your grandparents are very kind and they love you just like me and your Appa loves you. I'm really sorry I have to leave you with your unstable health. But I promise I'll be home as soon as my work is done, okay?" said Mom.

I wrapped my hands on around her and nodded in the crook of her neck.

She broke the hug and wiped my tears. "Good girl. Now, watch your K-dramas and you can start packing your bags tonight if you want to. Or you can do it tomorrow, I'm gonna drop you at Harabeoji's house by 5. Okay?"

I gave her a faint smile and nodded. She stood up and walked back into her room, getting ready to the airport.

I took the tv remote and put the volume up. I suddenly felt an heavy ache on my chest. I pressed it. Ouch?

Why do I've bad feelings about going to Harabeoji's house?

...

Mom's car stopped infront of a not too small house. I glanced around the housing area as I jumped off the car. It's really nice being here, away from the city's hustle and bustle.

"Come on, let's get you in." said Mom, handing down my luggage from the boot.

I took it and pulled it through the gates, into the yard. I glanced through the sliding door.

There's nobody home.

I turned to Mom and mouthed, 'there is nobody here'.

"Jeongmal? Ah.. maybe they're at their orchard." She looked at her watch. It's already 5.10 p.m.

I sighed and placed my luggage beside the stairs and sat on the steps.

Suddenly the gates opened, two seniors couple walked in. I think that's Harabeoji and H--

"Hye Jin-ssi? Ah.. I knew it was your car." said Halmeoni as she walked into the yard.

Mom smiled and pulled her into a hug. Harabeoji gazed at me since he stepped in. He didn't look shocked or annoyed. Maybe that's a good thing. I poked Mom's arm and she did turned to me.

"Jae-ah this is your Harabeoji," she pointed at him, "-and your Halmeoni." She pointed at her.

I bowed at them, "Annyeonghaseyo, Harabeoji and Halmeoni."

Halmeoni furrowed her eyebrows at me. "What is she doing here?"asked Halmeoni, suprisingly angry at.. me.

"Eomma--"
"Eomma is going on a bussiness trip so I'll be living here wit--"

"After what you did to my son, HOW DARE YOU SHOW YOUR FACE HERE?!"shouted Halmeoni.

I gasped and my tears started to fall down my cheeks. Mom stepped closer to me. "Cheon Jae-ah.." I pushed her hands aside when she tried to hold my shoulders.

"Yeon Hee-ah, how could you raise your voice to her? Is that how treat your granddaughter?!"said Harabeoji, calming her down.

I bowed to Halmeoni and more of my tears started to roll down my cheeks, "Choesonghabnida, Halmeoni. I know I'm just a.. disgrace to this family."

"Cheon Jae, what are you talking about?! Get your heads together!" said Mom as she pulled my hand from bowing.

I lifted my head and gazed at Halmeoni's eyes. It's just full of hatred and she hated the fact I.. killed my own father and It's all because of my accident, because of me.

I looked down. "I'm sorry Harabeoji, Halmeoni. I-" I shook my head and ran out of the house.I ran to the streets. Don't even know where I'm going.

My feet were still running.

Where I am.

Who am I.

I don't care about Mom and apparently Harabeoji was calling me too now.
I ran like there's no end with my tears rushing down my cheek. I just want to be away from them. They are being so mean to me.

Run, run and run again, till I can't stop running.