Do It Now Remember It Later

{Ryder P.O.V.}

I walk to Colette's grandmothers house after school.

I look up and watch a leaf fall from the tree and land in my path before I step down on it, thus crushing it. That's how I feel right now. I feel like I'm falling. I know I'm going to get crushed in the end though.

Besides knowing I'm going to get crushed, I decided why not make the most of this. What could possibly happen that would hurt me more than I already do?

I'm going to ask Colette on a date.

It's really a win win situation if you think about it. If she says no, I'm back to square one and I don't have to deal with feelings. If she says yes, I get to go on a date with a pretty girl.

See?

Win win.

I get to the front door and knock without hesitation before I chicken out.

I wait a solid thirty seconds before I think she's not going to answer. I shouldn't have come, she's going to say no.

I go to leave, thinking nobody was home, when the door swings open to reveal a small old lady.

"You must be Ryder." She says, it was really creepy. She was looking me dead in the eyes. But I couldn't look away, her posture showed sweet old lady, but her eyes showed vicious grandma.

"I-I-I think s-so, I-I mean yea-yeah you- i mean, I am Ryder. That is me, yes." I mentally slam a chair into my face. Real smooth Ryder, real smooth.

She laughs a sweet old lady laugh that I don't know if I should trust. "Come on in sweetheart, she's down the hall, first door on the left." I thank her and walk to her do. I take a deep breath before knocking softly and then opening her door.

She looks up from her bed and a wide smile finds its way onto her face.

"Hey Ryder! What's up?" She asks.

"I just came to talk." I say, pulling at my sleeves. I'm so fucking nervous, what if I just don't say anything. I could do this tomorrow or something. Yeah tomorrow.

"So what did you want to talk about?" She asks. She looks nervous, maybe she knows I'm going to ask and she already thought of a reason to say no.
Wait. What if she has a boyfriend back home.

Fuck.

It'll be fine. I'm sure.

"You uh, you wanna go out with me sometime?" Well that was subtle.

I feel like the crunchy peanut butter nobody likes in the grocery store.

She starts to laugh and I feel myself slightly turning pink. I guess she thinks I'm kidding.

"Ryder, i'd love to!" She says in an elated manner before hugging me tightly.

At that moment her evil looking grandmother walks in and sees her on me. And on her bed. She scoots away quickly turning red.

"Dinners ready, Ryder? Are you joining?" She asks, once again she burns holes into my skull with her eyes.

"Ye-yeah I'd love that." I say.

I hope this goes well.

If I don't make a good impression, I'm screwed.