28: British Airways

Some time had passed and I had made up my mind. I was going to leave this place. . . leave LA. I didn't know for how long, but it didn't matter. Everything was arranged, I had the required papers, a place I could start working at as soon as I got there. . . and for the first while I would spend my nights in a cheap hostel, until I was able to find a place for myself.

That guy I knew back in high school, Luke. . . I had contacted him through Facebook and found out that he was living there with his boyfriend. They were both in a starting band and Luke also owned a bar just outside the crowded London city center. He told me he needed someone to take over a few of the night shifts and would gladly give me the job. I was surprised at how he kind of turned out like me, in a way.

And by that I meant that he dressed like me, had tattoos and liked the same kind of music as I did. He wasn't like that at all when I used to know him. . . he actually used to be one of the pretty-looking popular boys.

Vic greatly encouraged my plan. He was really excited about it. And honestly, that surprised me. It almost made me question it, but I didn't.

He even gave me a wadload of money, to ensure that I would last at least a month or three, paying for the hostel. I had broken the news to the rest of my friends a week prior, and although they were shocked, they seemed to be happy for me.

I explained to them my reason behind the whole thing, and they supported me. That was all I really asked for.

The hardest part of it was breaking it to Tay. . . she reacted like I was about to commit a crime. But she wouldn't really tell me why she reacted the way that she did.

As I was packing my bags, getting ready to leave the next day, the doorbell rang. I knew the door wasn't locked since Tay had literally left like ten minutes earlier. "Still open!" I yelled as I was running around, making sure I had everything.

"So, you really are going, huh?" I turned around to find her standing in the doorway, disappointment filling her eyes.

"Yes. Yes I am." I told her with a sigh, for like the thousandth time now. She wasn't taking it as well as everyone else was.

"What about us?" She pleaded as she followed me into the bedroom while I grabbed more of my clothes. I had to remind myself that I was going to a place that basically had no summer to begin with, compared to LA, so I needed a lot of my hoodies.

And what the hell did she mean by us? There was never really much of an 'us' because Tay was always judging me about whatever I did. Sure, she gave me a place to stay, but. . . shouldn't she be happy that I was leaving again?

I sighed deeply as I passed her, walking back into the living room and dropping the stack of hoodies into my suitcase. "I told you, sis. . . I need to do this, for myself." I felt sort of bad for leaving her, but I just had to do this.

She sighed, looking a little defeated. "I understand." She muttered.

A guilty tear escaped my eye. After her break up with Jenna, she said that I was all she still had, basically. Whether it was true or just an excuse to get me to stay, I didn't know. But then what else was I going to do? I really wanted this- a fresh new start somewhere else.

I sighed and pulled Tay into a hug. "I'm sorry. I tried." I whispered softly, not knowing what else to say.

She hesitated for a moment, but then hugged me back. "If you really love someone, you gotta let them go, right?" She said, more trying to convince herself of it than she was telling me.

I nodded; feeling more tears run down my cheeks. "Right."

"Do you need help packing?" She then asked after a moment of silence.

I quickly wiped away my tears and smiled as I backed out of her arms. "No, I'm fine, thank you." I told her. "I'm almost done, I think."

"When are you leaving?"

I took a deep breath and focused back on my suitcases, trying to remember what I had already packed and what I still needed. "My flight's tomorrow. Will you take me to the airport?"

- - -

"Flight 282 British Airways to London boarding now." I heard echoing from the speakers. And for some reason, I could feel butterflies in my stomach.

"That's your flight." Tay beamed, with a small smile. It made me happy that she was finally supporting me in this. I hugged her tight and told her that I'd call her as soon as the plane landed, and then went off to my gate.

I took a last glance at my phone, noticing that I had a text message from Vic.

'Have a nice flight, Kell. Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for, and who knows, maybe more. Please be safe. xo Vic.'

I smiled to myself and switched my phone off.

I took my designated window seat on the plane and buckled in. This was going to be my first time ever flying, and I couldn't deny that I was kind of nervous. Of course, though, I was pretty nervous overall. . . I was leaving Los Angeles, my home, venturing out to find myself in lil' ole London. It was scary but exciting at the same time.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your flight captain speaking. Welcome aboard British Airways flight 282 to London Airport. We will arrive there in approximately 11 hours. The weather is looking great, on both sides of the planet. So everyone just sit back, relax and enjoy your flight, we will be there before you know it."

Boy did he sound cheery.