32: London at Night

When the game was over, the usual guys left. They were all married men, believe it or not, and had a home to go to.

Michael asked if I could lock up the place, giving me my Monday off if I agreed. And of course I did, I didn't mind a day off, and it was already almost closing time anyways. Michael and the guys left, all giving me hugs and pecks on my cheek before they did.

"Alright, we're shutting down." I eventually announced when the clock on the wall told me that it was nearing 2 am. The three men in the back, Oli and Josh downed the rest of their drinks and left in silence, some of them thanking me as they walked out.

After cleaning up, restocking for Monday and shutting down the lights, I threw on my coat and locked up. When I was done and turned around, I nearly bumped into someone, yelping as I did.

"My apologies. I didn't mean to scare you." I looked up and found Oli smiling at me, holding out his arms, and barely touching mine as he stood there.

I took a deep breath and laughed softly at my own reaction. "That's fine, I'm just an idiot." I told him as I still laughed. "Where's your friend?"

Oli looked behind him for a moment and then back at me. "He already took a taxi home. I live pretty close by, so I don't need one." He explained.

I nodded in understanding and then frowned. "So, what are you still doing here then?" I asked him suspiciously, though I couldn't help but to smile for some reason.

"Well, I find London to be particularly beautiful at night. I know some nice places you absolutely must see. With you being new around here. . . I just wondered if you were interested in coming with me."

I looked down at my shoes for a moment, thinking about it. I did want to get to know London a bit better, and I loved the nighttime myself, too. I suppose if he was kind enough to show me around, I should just accept it. It sounded like fun, anyway.

I then looked back up at him, his smile showing anticipation as he patiently waited for my answer.

"Alright, I'll go with you."

His smile grew wider as he turned and started walking away. A few feet further up he stopped and looked back at me expectantly. "Well, come on then, love."

I took a few quick steps and caught up with him, walking on side by side as I viewed all of my surroundings. Usually after work I'd go straight to the hostel, which was literally in the opposite direction of where we were going.

After walking in silence for a while, amazed by everything I saw, even in the darkness of the night, Oli took a left into a big gate next to some kind of columned chapel. I quickly followed him in and frowned. "Where are we?" I asked him curiously.

"Trinity Square Gardens." He simply said. "Beautiful at night, isn't it?"

I caught him staring up at a white building, and I followed his gaze. It had a tower like structure, many columns holding up a roof and stunning sculptures all over it. It seemed to be from like the Roman ages, or something like that. And I had to admit that it was indeed beautiful.

"It's alright." I told him instead, trying to sound unimpressed.

I wondered what else he had to show me.

He looked back at me; one eyebrow arched and started laughing. "It's alright?" He repeated, not understanding how I could be so nonchalant.

I chuckled softly and nodded.

"Do you know something better then?" He asked.

I remembered before we went in here, that I noticed a sign that said the Tower of London was nearby. I had seen pictures of it before, but I wanted to see it for real. And since we were close anyways, why not?

I smiled and walked away, leaving the gates of the gardens behind me and going down the street that the sign I saw had told me to go. Oli quickly caught up with me, but stayed trailing behind a little, chuckling as he watched me hop excitedly down the street.

Eventually I arrived at a pier, the one that had a great view of the Tower. "This is what you wanted to see?" Oli then asked me, sounding a bit skeptic.

I simply nodded as I gazed down the dark pier.

"You really are a tourist, love."

I chuckled, not really caring, and grabbed Oli's hand, which somehow felt so normal, and dragged him along as I started running down the pier all the way to the end. Oli followed me and laughed, clearly amused by my child-like excitement for the supposed tourist attraction.

I ran up to the fence at the edge and let myself bump up against it. The view left and right was absolutely beautiful. The water was black, same as the night sky. Not a single star to be seen. The massive lights lit up the Tower, letting it pop out of the night's darkness, showing every detail of its structure.

"This is beautiful." I simply stated, not taking my eyes off the view in front of me.

"I suppose. . ." Oli murmured skeptically.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed both his wrists, pulling him up halfway behind me and placing both his hands on the bars of the fence. "Look at it. Just really look at it. The shadows, the structures, the trees that surround it. . . The windows and the candlelight moving behind them. . ."

I remembered a time when I could only see things like this when I was high. But I didn't need that anymore. And I had honestly never felt better.

Oli then unexpectedly placed his chin on my shoulder, looking at the Tower from my height as he stood closely behind me. "That is candlelight up there." He whispered, sounding surprised for some reason. "I guess you're right, I never actually looked at it like this before." He then added after a moment of silence.

I turned my head a little to look at him. "Well? Do you admit that it's beautiful?"

He smiled and looked into my eyes. "Very beautiful." He whispered ever so softly.

I felt his breath on my skin as he spoke, giving me goose bumps while my eyes were locked with his. For a moment I was lost in his hazel colored marbles, somehow feeling the strange urge to want to kiss him. . . but quickly enough I pulled myself out of it and looked back at the black water.

I chuckled softly and shook my head.

That was weird. What the hell?