eight

Chapter 8
Victoire Weasley

The end of that week was the first quidditch match of the season. Gryffindor vs Slytherin. James, being the captain of the Gryffindor team, had all his players up at dawn to cram in one last practice before the game.

When the rest of the school trickled down to the quidditch pitch and organized themselves in the stands, the Slytherin team was just getting changed, while James and the team were whizzing around, making passes, hitting bludgers,  blocking shots, and catching false snitches.

Victoire was in the stands, sitting alone, rather focused on her book about time travel, when Remus, and Peter came and sat right next to her. She gave them each a quick smile but went back to her book, without saying a word. Peter was hacking on about something the Vic didn't care enough to listen to the actual subject. Remus pulled out a book of his own and started reading, nodding every once and a while to fake as is he was listening to his friend.

A boy with currently scarlet hair ran up the stands. Vic looked up long enough to confirm the identity of the student before looking back down at her reading. In the brief glance, she was able to determine that the boy had a happy smile plastered on his face in the chilly air.

"Hi!" he greeted Remus and Peter. His eyes shifted to Vic and she looked up again. She looked at him and gave the smallest of smiles. Ted's face fell, ever so slightly, and his hair faded just the tiniest bit, before they both returned to their previous state. Victoire wouldn't even have noticed it if she hadn't known for it to happen with quick emotion changes. Teddy said a quick greeting to his, some would say former, best friend, and sat down next to Peter.

Victoire once again returned to her reading. Teddy was talking with Peter for a bit, but then he seemed to notice something and he ran off. Teddy slid over closer to Remus. He tried picking up a conversation with him, but Remus fully ignored his future son. The werewolf was fully immersed in his piece of fiction. Ted gave up and sat in silence, he seemed a bit restless, shifting back and forth quite frequently.

Victoire was quickly getting annoyed at him. She didn't yell at him. Vic didn't want to antagonize him, considering their current friendship status, but she did want him to stop. She just looked up at him. Her expression wasn't angry, or sad, not even happy, just looked at him, quite expressionless.

Ted looked up after a bit. He seemed almost lost as to why the girl was looking at him. He seemed to realise something on her face. His eyebrows knit together like he was thinking.

"You're wearing your glasses." he said simply.

Victoire's hand absent mindedly reached up to her face, as if to check if they were actually there. Sure enough she felt the ends of her glasses resting on her ears. Victoire never usually wore her glasses anymore, she found that they got in the way too much. She usually opted for her contacts instead.

"Yeah, my contacts were bothering me, so I wore these." she shrugged. In reality, she just couldn't be bothered to put them on that morning.

Ted opened his mouth to respond but was cut off by the Ravenclaw student acting as the announcer saying the start of the match. Teddy closed his mouth and, once again, adjusted himself on the bench.

The actual quidditch match was quite eventful. When Slytherin played Gryffindor, both teams always pushed themselves to play their hardest against their primal rivals. Victoire, being a Ravenclaw most her life, had never really experienced such a deep rivalry when cheering for her house team. She was almost excited to feel the excitement and such for herself.

She watched as James and the Slytherin captain shook hand. The snitch was released and the quaffle was thrown into the air.

It was mostly a clean game. Nothing too eventful or exciting happened. No major cheating or anything causing a foul from either party. Gryffindor ended up winning by exactly 150 points. Only winning by the catching of the snitch.

Victoire awkwardly followed behind Remus and Teddy who flooded onto the pitch to congratulate James and Sirius on their win. Peter was still MIA since he ran off earlier.

"Good job." she smiled at the two.
"Thanks." James and Sirius smiled back. They stood in silence for a moment. They were not the best of friends, by any means, considering the rocky space between the two time travelers and the Marauders tended to lean more towards Teddy when it came to friendship.

Which Victoire was fine with. Or at least that's what she told herself. She had gotten mostly used to being alone in the month or so she had been here. She was fine. Really she was.

She said goodbye to the boys, her eyes avoiding Teddy, and made her way up to the castle.

She passed a group of first years while going towards the Great Hall. She heard her name called out from the group and spun around to see who said it. It was Bille. He looked frantic.

"Victoire, I really need your help." he pleaded
"What's up?" she said
"I have a transfiguration essay due tomorrow and I have no what to do."
"Alright, calm down. Just give me 15 minutes to go grab some food and I'll meet you in the library at our usual table." Bill nodded and they split ways.

Fifteen minutes later, Vic entered the library. She was barely able to find Bill under the pile  of books he seemed to have buried himself under.

"What have you gotten yourself into?" she sighed
"I maybe, sorta, kinda, upset professor McGonagall and she assigned me a big essay that I have to write for Monday but I can't find anything on it anywhere." he mumbled, not even bothering to look up at her.
"What's it on?"
"Animaguses." Bill said
"It's Animagi, and lucky for you, I know a fair bit about them. Ask me anything." Vic smiled proudly
"I owe you, big time, Victoire." Bill sighed in relief.

(A/N: Hello. How are you. My laptop is being weird rn so this is being uploaded from my phone. I can't dedicate this just yet but I know how I will dedicate it to later. -Jul)