thirty-four

Chapter 34

James Potter and Lily Evans

Only one night after Victoire and Teddy's night in the room of requirement, James and Lily met up after dark to discuss what a mess they thought they made. After teddy and Victoire had left for bed, They huddled in the same spot they had first gathered before their mess of a plan had gone down. This time, they also had a chess board set up. Lily was destroying James but he was making a valiant effort to come back and take her down.

"What are we going to do." Lily sighed "We really fucked it up between them."

"That's strong language coming from the ultimate teacher's pet." James teased. Lily just glared at him.

"I'm serious, James"

"No, he's sitting over there." James jerked his thumb over his shoulder.

"Are you going to keep being a smart ass or are you going to help me."

"I'll help, I'll help."

"Good." Lily moved a pawn to take James' knight.

"I think we shouldn't beat around the bush, we should just talk to them."

"That's what got them into this position in the first place." Lily shot him down "I think we have to put the idea of coupling them out of our minds. The best we can really hope for is friendship and by the way they are acting, that seems doubtful. That's why we need your Marauder scheming."

"Aww. Lily flower needs me." he looked up at Lily's face before biting his lip and revising his statement. "I mean, I'll help."

"That's what I thought you said." James moved his rook.

"We just need to think of a plan." he said "Also, check." Lily moved a bishop to be in between James' rook and her king. James tried moving his queen, but Lily easily captured it.

"What if we- no that wont work." she shot herself down. She moved her bishop and took the other of James' knights. "Checkmate." she stated proudly."

"Drat."

They played two more games. Lily won the first one, but by the second she was slumped over on the table half asleep, and she carelessly left her king unprotected for James to capture.

"Alright, bedtime for you."James told her

"No," Lily mumbled against her arm "We haven't figured out Vic and Teddy."

"We can do that tomorrow. You need sleep."

"You promise?"

"Yeah, I do."

James set Marlene up to the task of getting Lily to bed before heading up himself.

*****

The next night, James unfortunately forgot his word, and Lily wasn't the one to remind him. She had hardly remembered after their second chess match. (So much for James boasting about his win over Lily)

Lily had also gone up to bed, but she was woken at around 11 when someone was moving around in the dorm. She figured one of the girls had just come up late and thought nothing of it. When she tried to fall back asleep, she couldn't though. She was wide awake. After what seemed like an hour, but was really only five minutes, she got up and went down to the common room.

In the common room, she saw a houself cleaning up. Lily gave him a small wave before the elf looked as if about to apparate.

"Wait!" Lily called silently.

"Yes miss?" the elf squeaked

"Would you maybe be able to fetch me a cup of tea?"

"Bink would love to!" the elf disapeared only to return not long after with a steaming cup of sleepytime tea at hand.

"Thank you so, so much." she smiled

"You're welcome miss." The elf disappeared again, presumably to return to his work.

Lily sat by the fire for a bit. She watched the flames rise and flicker sending dancing shadows around the room. She sipped her tea slowly.

"Lily?" she heard a voice from the boy's stairway. She turned and say James.

"What are you doing up?"

"I thought I heard your voice."

"Oh, that was just me talking to Bink the houself."

"Could you not sleep?" he asked her

"No," Lily shrugged "Came down here to watch the fire. Care to join me?"

"Sure. What're you drinking?"

"Tea. Want a sip?" James took a sip from the cup and sat beside his girlfriend. Lily scooted closer to him and rested her head on his shoulder. Neither of them said anything for a while. The minutes ticked by and turned into hours. Lily had almost fallen asleep breathing in the comforting scent of James Potter, when at around two AM, the portrait hole opened. Lily and James jumped out of their reverie and turned to the picture and anxiously hoped it wasn't McGonagall come to deliver horrible news about the oncoming war. Thankfully, and mysteriously, it wasn't their head of house. It was Teddy and Victoire, casually strolling in holing hands and blushing at almost everything they each said.

"Well hello." James said. The two supposed enemies froze in fear. Victoire gave them and uneasy smile and Teddy offered an uneasy wave.

"What'cha doing?" Lily asked them.

"Just, out for a walk." Teddy said as if that explained everything

"Holding hands?" James raised an eyebrow. Teddy and Vic quickly let go of each other.

"Uh, Teddy and I were just... nothing. We happened to run into each other."

"Vic, spill." Lily ordered.

Victoire quickly ranted off their silly little scheme with Teddy interjecting every now and then. James and Lily stared forward, their eyes wide.

"So, what you're saying is, you're together?" James clarified.

"Yes." Vic bit her lip waiting for them so start yelling about lying. Instead, Lily let out a squeal. She jumped up from the couch and threw herself at Vic. She squeezed her friend into a hug. She then did the same to Teddy.

"I am so happy for you!" James joined her side.

The girls and boys split ways. In their dorm, Lily, clutching Vic's wrist, proceeded to wake up the other three girls to tell them the wonderful news. All five of them started squealing until a sixth year from the next dorms came to tell them to shut up.

The five fell into more silent giggles with their hands clamped over their mouths. They all gathered on each others beds laughing and giggling kind of like what Victoire and Dominique did during the summer months.

They all fell asleep in the wrong beds early into the morning light. It was safe to say they were very tired the next morning.

(A/N: Hi, so I'm getting more used to my mum's computer. This is getting better. I still don't know about updates, unfortunately. It is her laptop so she has the first right to use it. I've got chores to do, so Bye! -Jul)