nineteen

Chapter 19

Teddy Lupin

The week after the incident, things were difficult for Victoire. Though Madam Pomfrey had healed her remarkably well, even for a witch of her healing caliber, Victoire was still left quite injured and left on her own to heal. The healer had let her have free reign about the castle, but was strictly instructed to return at any signs of negative change.

She wasn't doing so well. Though she kept a brave face for James, Sirius, she held it up especially for Teddy and Remus. She refused to let the two know that she was struggling. Teddy, in turn, saw her as reckless and not willing to take care of herself. He would cling to Vic's arm anytime she want to ascend or descend stairs. Vic was grateful. She was having trouble with stairs.

Remus had a hard time wrapping his head around the whole situation. The time travel had confused the great fan of logic to no end. Once he got past the initial shock, he had been fascinated. He had attempted to ask Victoire and Teddy about all sorts of new magical spells and potions, but they wouldn't tell him anything.

Vic was hanging out with Teddy again. They were both hanging out with the Marauders. They were all planning new and amazing pranks for the new year. Victoire was surprisingly good at it. When they asked her why, she shrugged and said it was in her blood.

New Year's day, students were starting to show up again for the next term. When Lily turned up, she fussed over Vic quite a bit. Her natural mothering coming out. The next thing she did, was attack Teddy about not protecting her. Vic defended him and told Lily that she didn't need protection, she needed mad men off the streets, referring of course to Fenrir.

"I'm just glad you're ok." Lily conceded

"I'm fine," Vic gave her a tired smile

"Evans!" Sirius cried, entering the common room. "You're back!" he opened his arms wide as if he was about to give her a hug.

"Black" Lily rolled her eyes. James skirted awkwardly around Sirius and made a beeline for the boy's dorms, not so much as looking at Lily. She looked a little hurt but tried not to show it on her face. Remus and peter shared a glance, before Peter quickly followed James, sending a nod to Lily as he went by.

"Er, don't mind him." Remus assured Lily "He hasn't been feeling so good."

Remus himself didn't look so good. He was very pale, more so than usual. More pale pink scars echoed over his body.

"It's fine." Lily brushed him off. "Marlene should be coming back tomorrow." she remarked to no one in particular. "I got an owl from her last week after the funeral. Awful she had to loose her family so close to Christmas."

"Who's she been staying with?"

"Her uncle's wife. Everyone else passed."

The silence hung between them. No one much enjoyed the dreary topic. Most in the conversation were trying to think of way to change the subject. Teddy beat them all to it, though.

"What of the others?" he asked "Alice and Dorcas?"

"Alice is only coming back the day before the start of term, and I haven't heard back from Dorcas. Though she isn't always the best at returning letters. I'm still worried though."

Victoire leaned over and gave Lily a reassuring hug. "I'm sure she's fine." she said

James and Peter came down from the dorms. For once, it was Peter leading the group. Usually he was sulking behind them, too unconfident to make the others follow. Right now, it almost looked as if the two had switched bodies. Peter was standing up tall (as tall as he could for such a short boy) and James was slumped over slightly, trying to avoid the gaze of those gathered.

"Sorry." he muttered to Lily, still not looking directly at her "I just wasn't feeling myself. Good to see you though." His little speech was quiet, and almost a little sad.

"What, Potter? You're not going to ask me out?" she asked, only half jokingly

"No." James said simply "I know you'll just say no."

Lily opened her mouth as if to say something else, but closed it soon after.

"Let's go get some food." Peter suggested

"That's just like you." James said, putting his arm around his friend "Always thinking about food." He was almost mirroring his former self. Only when he looked the way of a certain redhead, did he return to the quiet image he had on.

PLEASE READ THE A/N.

IMPORTANT QUESTION WITHIN.

(A/N: Well hi, long time no see, I know. I'm sorry. Things have been just a tiny bit crazy. Speaking of crazy... THREE. POINT. FOUR. K!!! How did this happen? We're almost beating my other story, Thrown Through Time. It has 3.8K on 19 parts where this has 3.4K on 18 parts (now 19) annyyyywaaays... I have just a small announcement/question thing. So I have been writing this other story because I haven't had much inspiration for my current ones, and I was wondering if you wanted me to post it. Its a next gen story 30 years after DH, but with a twist. The Dark Side wins. Would any one be interested in reading that? Because I don't want to post it and have no one read it. (I have like 8 parts of it) I also have, in my drafts, 4 parts of a story that takes place during DH, about a spy for the OoTP inside of Hogwarts. If you could tell me which one you might be interested in me posting and continuing (I have just a slight bias to the first one I mentioned) I would be so grateful. I'm sorry this A/N is practically longer than the actual chapter. I'll leave you be now. Thanks to anyone who read this all. -Jul)