twenty-nine

Chapter 29

Remus Lupin and Marlene Mckinnon

Both Remus and Marlene had spent their day in a chill but nerve racking way. Though they had been assured that the others wouldn't be coming back until sometime around 6, they still found themselves looking over their shoulders whenever the smallest sound was heard. They felt something inherently wrong with searching through their things.

"Marlene!" Remus called up to the girls dorms from the common room "Can you come down here? I have something I want to show you." Though Remus was about 88% sure that no one else was in the tower, the limited people in the castle instead favoring to go out into the sun, he didn't want to give anything away.

"What's up." Marlene sighed. She jumped off the last step.

"A letter." he wave a piece of parchment in front of her face. She quickly snatched it and unfolded it. Her eyes quickly skimmed over the handwritten cursive. Her eyes were drawn to near the first lines "I just wanted to say, well, I have feelings for you. I want to kick myself for just outright saying that, but I kind of have a feeling that you won't ever read this."

"It's from Vic to Teddy." Remus explained. Marlene's mouth was hung agape as she was speechless.

"Do you think he's read it?" she asked

"The envelope was open" Remus shrugged. "Most likely."

"Then what the hell!" she threw her hands up in defeat "Why hasn't he acted on it? He must not like her. Our master plan was all for naught."

"No." Remus shook his head "Have you seen the way Teddy looks at Victoire? It's the same way James looks at Lily. He's madly in love with her."

"Then why?" Marlene thought for a moment. Her eyes slid back to the letter "Aha!" she cried "I know why."

"What?"

"Look at when this is dated." she pointed to the messily scrawled date

"Yeah, the day school let out for winter." Remus said "What of it?"

"That the day Vic disappeared." Marlene kept pointing to the date as if to emphasize her point "A week later, she turned up on the brink of death. That would have been Teddy's first chance at confessing her feeling were, in fact, not unrequited. He must have felt it was the wrong time and never found a better time."

"Yes." Remus' brain lit up with possible theories. "That's also when Vic and Teddy mysteriously made up from their fight that was pretty much over nothing. This has to do with it!"

"What do we do with this?" Marlene asked "We can't just sit them down and say 'You like you. Date now.'"

"Or maybe we can..."

"Remus! W very well can't. And it's not like we can use these letters as evidence."

"No, you see that's perfect. We ask Teddy, in front of Victoire, if he likes her. He can't very well deny without knowingly hurting Victoire."

"Genius."

(A/N: Hey, sorry for a shorter chapter, but I have to go make dinner for my family. Quick announcement before I go, I am starting school again tomorrow, but they'll only be half days. This shouldn't affect you too much since I usually write in the evenings and my classes are in the morning but fair warning anyways. By everyone! -Jul)