fifty-eight

Chapter 58

The dread in George's voice as he begged Victorie and Teddy for information. "What happened?" He panicked "With Sirius? Does that mean... does that mean Fred will... will..." he couldn't finish his sentence. He kept looking to his twin and back at the time travellers at head spinning speeds.

Fred, on the other hand, was scarily quiet. His gaze avoided absolutely everything save the floor.

"Fred! Say something, Goddammit!" George snapped. Fred slowly looked up and to his brother. A sad smile looked to George's frown.

"It doesn't matter." he shrugged "If I die, I die."

"No! Bullshit!" George protested "You're not going to die until- until you're 102 and dying of dragon pox! Not when you're twenty and dying of murder!"

"'Dying of murder?' Really, Georgie?" Fred laughed. This only infuriated George more. He whipped around and glared at Vic and Ted.

"Do something! Tell me something! Save him! Go! Stop standing here while my brother is going to die." he yelled. The four, who were standing just outside the Hospital Wing after the Battle of the Department of Mysteries, got a collective glare from Madam Pomrfey inside.

"George," Teddy said quietly "we don't know if Sirius is dead, but that's not important right now. What is important is that we are still going to try and save Fred."

"And Georgie, that comment about standing around, you do realize that when they save me is irrelevant?" Fred laughed again. "It's time travel!"

George didn't say anything else. He just glared at all of them and stomped away.

"He'll get over himself." Fred decided. "He'll get over me."

"No he won't get over you." Vic said with a sigh "But, with any luck, he won't have to."

While Fred went after George, Vic and Teddy went back to talking to the student combatants. Vic went over to Ron, while their conversation was short, she felt it worthwhile.

"Are you alright?" she asked

"I'm fine." Ron shrugged. His glance shifted to Harry in the corner bed. "But I don't think he is." he nodded towards his best mate. "I think he needs me. Well not me but someone. I guess the someone could be me. Well, maybe he doesn't think he needs someone, but I think he does. I don't know if that makes sense, bu-"

"Ron," Vic stopped him. "It's ok. Go to him. I think he needs you too."

Teddy went to talk to Ginny. For some reason she was eyeing him rather weird. Her gaze followed him as he walked towards her hospital bed.

"What's wrong?" he asked her.

"Well, besides everything that's going on right now, you." she said bluntly.

"What- what do you mean?"

"You're lying." she announced "About something. I don't know what, but you're lying."

"Lying? I'm not lying."

"You are. You're good at it, but I can still tell."

It didn't help Teddy's case when the twins came back to the Hospital Wing with George shoot looks-that-could-kill at Teddy and Victorie.

"George knows it too." Ginny said proudly.

"You're seeing into things." Teddy said, mocking oblivious.

"That could be, but I'm not seeing things that aren't there."

"I just came to see if you're ok." he tried to change the topic.

"Of course I'm not." Ginny burst out. "Have you seen what's going on here? Nothing is ok. I'm just a child but I have to deal with the weight that the war is putting on us. No one is going to be able to be ok for a while. Merlin! You'd think that you would realize that, since you were there at the battle today."

"Ginny, I know that things are going down the drain. Believe me I know. I probably know better than you." Teddy sighed and rubbed his temples. "I wish I didn't know, so I act like I don't. I have hope for the future, though I know it won't be for a while. I don't think there's something wrong with hope."

"There is when it's misplaced." Ginny spat "By the time this is all over, we'll be dead."

After those two pleasant conversations, Vic and Teddy regrouped in the middle of the Wing.

"We can't leave yet." Vic said. "There's more we need to do."

"I know." Ted agreed "I think we should check on dad. He wasn't doing so well earlier."

"Tomorrow, we need to talk to Dumbledore. We can't let him put that ring on."

"We both know what we need to do, but let's wait until tomorrow to make a plan. We both need rest."

"Alright." Victoire leaned into Teddy's chest and he wrapped his arms around her. "Let's go see your dad."

Together, the two bid the others a quick goodbye and walked out of the castle. They slowly strolled down the road beyond the castle grounds before apparating away.

(A/N: Okey dokey. I won't bother with any more apologizing, but instead I'm going to thank you. All of you. I am appalled by the numbers on this story, 28.3K reads?! 2.2K votes?! 403 comments?! I am so so hella grateful. Thank you so much! And thank you for 129 followers! This is so great! <3 -Jul)