Chapter 13

Jessie stood behind the closed door of the hall waiting for her mother, Elaine. Her mother had insisted that they both make an entrance together. It had been a while since Jessie had attended a dinner hosted by her parents, making this event as per her mother the one to be made the best ever. Now after all of the fuss created by her, she was running late.

Her father was busy entertaining the guests for the past hour. He had simply given up on challenging anything her mother said. Both Jessie and her father had agreed that it was best to move out of the way. This had been their motto, better to tag along than go against. Following that motto had meant not questioning any of her decisions or suggestions but merely nodding in agreement.

She could hear the soft sounds of the classical music seeping through the closed door. The low chatter of the guests was hard to miss as well. Among the many guests that were invited, Jessie was sure that her mother had invited the supposedly eligible bachelors as well. She had fallen for her mother’s trap with regards to them. How was she going to get through the dinner? ‘You should have known that there was an ulterior motive to this, Jessie. Thank you Mom.’

Jessie shifted her weight from one foot to the other. She hadn’t broken into the shoes yet and the new pair had begun to make her feel a dull pain in her feet. She took in a deep breath and shook her head. ‘Get it together.’ There was at least another three hours before she could step out of them.

“There you are!”

Jessie turned around to see her mother walking briskly towards her while adjusting her earrings. Her dark navy blue dress appeared to look almost black in the soft light. Not to mention the green necklace sparkling on the dark material. She had to admit; her mother looked very beautiful and elegant.

“I have been looking all over for you.”

“Mom, you asked me to wait for you at the door. Don’t you remember?”

“Don’t be silly. I said no such thing.” Elaine defended.

Jessie replied swiftly, “Seriously, are you accusing me of lying?”

“I remember very clearly what I said. ‘Wait for me downstairs.’ was definitely not one of them,” Elaine said. “So now thanks to you; we are late.”

“Because of me!” Jessie screamed. “Don’t try to pin this on me. It’s not my fault that it took you forever to blow dry your hair, which, by the way, should be the easiest to do considering the fact that it is short.”

Elaine narrowed her eyes and gave Jessie an angry look. “Okay. You’re right. Are you happy now? Ken couldn’t figure out what to do with my hair. I have no idea why I keep hiring him. He just can’t make up his mind.”

Jessie smiled widely at her triumph. She couldn’t believe how quickly her mother had caved in. ‘Jessie, one; Mom, zero.’

Her mother smiled back and moved ahead to hold Jessie’s face in her palms. “You look so beautiful, darling.”

“Thanks to you, Mom,” Jessie replied. “And Ken.”

“No honey. Ken and I have simply helped enhance what was already there,” Elaine said with her teary eyes. “Gosh, you look just like your grandmother when she was younger.”

“Which one? Cos’ you know I have two.”

“Not your father’s mother, obviously.” Elaine gave her a sharp response.

“Very funny.”

“It’s true. You look like an angel, not the devil. “

Mom!” Jessie’s eyes went wide in shock. “That’s rude. Grandma is not the devil.”