Chapter 30

“I assume you know who the caller is, “Sergeant Denner said jokingly.

‘You have no idea.’

With her eyes still stuck on the phone’s screen and her mind still trying to wrap around the fact that Holden had sent her a phone, Jessie replied, “Unfortunately, I do.”

“Miss Sanders, let me be very clear,” the sergeant began in a very serious tone. “The city council could file a case against you for causing a fake bomb scare.”

“What?” Jessie screamed. “You can’t do that. I haven’t done anything. Besides, I didn’t even know what was inside the box. How can it be my fault? If anything you should catch hold of Holden. He’s the one who sent me an unaddressed box.”

“Relax Miss Sanders. We do know that fact. Mr. Richmond has been very helpful in giving us all the information we need,” Sergeant Denner said with a smile. “And to be honest, it’s always better to be careful than sorry.”

Jessie gulped in fear and let out a deep breath. Her heart had skipped a beat when he had suggested that she be held responsible for all that had happened. It was definitely not her fault. Holden and his stupid antics were what had gotten her into this mess. What surprised her most was that though the sergeant had suggested that a case be filed against her, but his reaction to the same against Holden was different. Wasn’t Holden going to be made an example out of?

“It’s just a misunderstanding Sergeant,” Mr. Richmond began to explain. “I’m sure that Miss Sanders had no idea that we have clients who sometimes make these kinds of gestures. After all we do work that hard for them, so a little appreciation of this kind is nothing new.”

Sergeant Denner nodded and smiled as he said, “I suppose so. But next time if something like this does come to occur, please be careful. We don’t want the entire police force, fire department and the bomb disposal squad summoned here only to find out that it is nothing but a stuffed teddy bear.”

Jessie didn’t trust herself to answer so she just nodded. This was the most embarrassing thing to happen to her including getting locked out of her apartment in just her night shorts. ‘You have no clue of how much I hate you right now Holden.’

“I guess we’re done here then, “Sergeant Denner said as he got up from his seat. He then proceeded to shake hands with the rest of them and when he got to Jessie he said, “It’s better if things between a bickering couple stays between the two of them. We can’t have the general public panicking over one of them attempting to reconcile.”

Jessie nodded and shook his hand.

What else was she supposed to do? It was apparently general knowledge that she and Holden were a couple, even when they weren’t. She could argue with anyone and everyone, but as long Holden was pushing this untrue fact, it was being considered as real. Jessie figured that at this current moment it was best to go along with the show; dealing with Holden could come later.

Jessie saw Sergeant Denner and the other police officer leave. Their empty seats remained in the same position that they had left them in. The sudden emptiness in the room made Jessie queasy. Surely now her seniors were going to give her a piece of their mind. They didn’t look the type to wash their dishes in public and now that it was no one but them, Jessie was sure they’d have a word or two to say. If shouting at Holden hadn’t got her fired, the events of this morning was sure to do the trick. ‘No matter how hard he’d try, even Houdini couldn’t get out of this one.’

She slowly looked around the three men, especially at the expression on their faces. Mr. Browning seemed to be in a pensive mood. Probably wondering why was it that his and only his staff that got into troubles like this. Mr. Richmond on the other hand seemed to be handling it better. From his interaction with the sergeant, Jessie established that he was actually relieved that it was a fake bomb scare. If real then it would have been the worst thing to happen to the city not just the firm. Then her eyes landed on Mr. Riker and she was confused.