Trust Me➳Kelly Oubre Jr.

Saturday evening had finally come, and Sydney couldn't ignore her mixed feelings of nervousness and excitement. She checked her light makeup in the mirror and situated her long, straight brown hair that fell to the middle of her back one last time before exiting her car. Her and her boyfriend had agreed to meet at this popular Italian spot called Graffiato, and she couldn't be happier to see him. Her and Avery had not seen each other in a couple weeks since he had just returned from a trip overseas where his expertise as a pediatrician were requested.

Avery Lawson was nationally known for his pediatric work and made frequent trips around the world to hold educational sessions and do fieldwork in third-world countries. Although quite admirable, his career was a definite impediment to the growth of his and Sydney's relationship. Sydney was significantly younger than Avery, ten years to be exact, and as a doctor who had found success rather quickly, he had many women, older, more mature women, vying for his attention in quite a few countries. Unbeknownst to Sydney, Avery had started a relationship with a woman while on this most recent trip, and she was expecting him to return to see her in Venezuela as soon as possible. Sydney had done nothing wrong, but Avery had always enjoyed her worship of him instead of seeing her as his equal. An undeniable consequence of his God complex that came with being a young, successful doctor in more countries than one.

At 23, and in her first year of law school, Sydney was definitely enchanted by the quick, unparalleled success of her significant other and was still surprised to this day that he found her worthy of a relationship. Against her better judgment and the judgment of those closest to her, Sydney agreed to call this man hers because who wouldn't take the Avery Lawson up on his offer to call her his? And that's why this dinner was so important. Avery's trips had become more frequent and his time in between that he spent with Sydney? Less frequent. She was concerned that he was pulling away from her, and that there was nothing she could do about it. Sydney just needed to get through these last six weeks of her 1L, and then she could travel with him and refocus solely on their relationship before her summer fellowship.

Sydney looked down at her Wizards jersey one last time before shrugging and entering Graffiato. She was marginally worried that Avery would be much better dressed seeing as he was coming from his office, and she was coming from the Wizards game that they'd won. But, what could she do? Avery had texted her for the first time since he let her know he landed back in the states three days ago, and she wasn't going to miss out on the opportunity to see him, even if it meant seeing him in her white skinny jeans, red jersey, and bred 11's.

Avery immediately picked Sydney out and watched her speak to the hostess. He could definitely admit that her beauty and the youth about her always seduced him like a spell. But, he couldn't continue to be with someone who was just in a completely different place in life. Sydney was still educating herself to become a career woman while he had already established a very successful career. Sydney didn't want to start a family for a few years, and Avery was ready to start one now. It just wasn't meant to be for them. And although Avery knew deep down that he was a dick for cheating on her, his feelings for her had truly stopped months ago, so he didn't see it as that big of a deal.

"Hey baby!" Sydney exclaimed as Avery stood to hug her and kiss her cheek.

"Hi beautiful," Avery responded with a smile, but much less enthusiasm.

Sydney could already sense that something was different about Avery. He didn't squeeze her as tight when he hugged her, and his smile definitely didn't reach his eyes. Her heart sank as she sat down in the chair Avery pulled out for her. Always a gentleman, her Avery.

"How was the game?" Avery asked, feigning interest in one of Sydney's loves and trying to figure out a way to break up with her.

Sydney smiled, somewhat encouraged by what seemed like her boyfriend's interest in something she loved.