Christmas Eve➳Blake Griffin

Be my date this Christmas Eve
Be my holiday, my dream
Lay your head on me, I got you baby

Kissing underneath the tree
I don't need no presents girl, you're everything I need
Let me give you all of me, here
Together on this Christmas eve...

December 23, 2012

Bea's heart beat rapidly in her chest as she and Blake Griffin stood side by side, rubbing elbows every now and again as they gave out the last few plates of ham, sweet potato soufflé, green beans, and corn bread to stragglers who found themselves on the same street as the homeless shelter. Every year, on December 23rd, she looked in her mirror and pep talked herself into mustering up the courage to ask him, best basketball player on the LA Clippers, out. And every year she chickened out and never said a word about her feelings.

What she didn't know, is Blake had done the same and couldn't take it anymore. He knew that there was no way he had seen Bea three years in a row for no reason. He had to grow some balls and tell her how he felt. Because he had a feeling their fate was running out.

Three Years Ago

The Los Angeles Mission had been one of Blake Griffin's favorite places to volunteer in Los Angeles ever since his first year there. After experiencing a major letdown when he injured his left kneecap, he easily became bored and restless as his supposed rookie season went down the drain. Month after month he rested and rehabbed, retreating within himself as his status never seemed to change or improve by a significant margin. Trying to find his worth in a world where he wasn't playing basketball was very difficult, and even he would admit that he wasn't handling it well.

Until his father gave him the best idea.

"Too often we limit ourselves, son. You aren't only talented at basketball. You are capable of making an impact in other places besides STAPLES. Why not try getting out into your community for some healing and, better yet, some growing. You're much more than a basketball player, son. Remember that."

And so, Blake Griffin found himself walking into the Los Angeles Mission for volunteer orientation in early December. He figured he'd join them for the first time when they held their annual Christmas Street Meal, so he had to make sure to attend volunteer orientation first.

When he lived in Oklahoma and played for his father all throughout high school, their team had always given back in the community, and they frequented a homeless shelter there, too. This caused Blake to always have a heart for the homeless, and he couldn't think of a better place to find himself during all his free time.

Of course he had to go through meeting many people and receiving more thank you's than he could count when he entered the shelter, but he really didn't want to be known as a LA Clipper at the moment. He just wanted to be Blake Griffin. Thankfully, it was time for the orientation to get started, so he settled at an empty table in the back of the room and paid attention to the informational video that began to play.

Not five minutes into the video, many heads turned as they heard the click of heels move quickly across the floor. A young woman rushed into the room and looked around for a seat before her eyes saw Blake's table, and a look of relief washed over her face once she saw that it was empty other than him.

Blake's eyes couldn't help but admire the young woman whose beauty piqued his interest. Her long, shiny black hair fell in waves down her shoulders, complimenting her olive skin and framing her face perfectly. She looked so beautiful, yet laidback, in black skinny jeans, a big navy blue sweater, and a cream scarf, with black ankle boots. Blake would never admit it, being the ladies' man he thought he was, but he was nervous. The closer she got to the table, the more anxious he became about whatever he would need to say to her.