Trust Me II➳Kelly Oubre Jr. {R}

Two Months Later

Kelly paced back and forth through the foyer of his home as he waited for Sydney to arrive. She had gone home to shower, change, and finish packing for her law fellowship that she flew out for tomorrow. They had spent most of the day together, as a last hurrah before their first long separation from each other since that fateful day two months ago that had changed their lives completely.

Kelly had known that Sydney was a beautiful, young woman as far as looks go, but he was completely unprepared for how beautiful of a person she was and how that would unknowingly captivate him. The way she spoke about her future career and studied and worked tirelessly. The way she constantly chose to do things with her time that made her happy, despite the pain Kelly knew she was feeling from the loss of who she thought was her future husband. The way she talked about her family and did things for them even though they were pretty far away in Florida. And although it took some time for Kelly to learn about these different parts of Sydney, he was slowly falling in love, and he had just realized this in the last week as the pit in his stomach grew every day she got closer to leaving. He didn't want her to, and that was an eye-opener for him.

From the moment Sydney trusted him and walked out of the restaurant, Kelly knew they would at least be friends. He didn't want to push for anything more than that after witnessing Sydney go through such a painful and public uncoupling. And unbeknownst to him, Sydney was grateful for that space Kelly gave--for the first month. But two months in, what Kelly didn't know, is that Sydney was ready for more and had been for the past couple weeks. She just didn't want to ruin the friendship they had built and didn't trust her own feelings since she just got out of a serious relationship.

As Sydney drove back over to Kelly's, she could not stop the butterflies in her stomach or hide the grin on her face. This was the first time Kelly had offered that she stay at his place overnight, and he would just drive her to her early afternoon flight after brunch the next day. Yes, they had fallen asleep a few times at each other's places, in each other's arms, but this was different. He wanted her there the night before she left, and Sydney was officially taking that as a sign. She knew they'd both been tiptoeing around each other, but she was going to put a stop to that tonight. She'd learned about how introverted Kelly is over the past couple months, so she knew she'd have to make the first move, and she was fine with that. That's why she'd worn her sexy pajamas for the Netflix and chill portion of the evening. She'd been tortured by him absentmindedly calling her pet names and placing his hand on the small of her back or his arm around her waist long enough. Those hazel-green eyes and that slick smile had made her blush long enough. She was going to leave Kelly with something to remember while she was away.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

"Hey babe, what took you so long, it's already ten," Kelly asked as he greeted Sydney with a hug.

He couldn't help but let his eyes roam her body as she breezed in with some revealing pj's on that showed all of her sexy, thick legs and teased him with a little midriff.

Sydney mentally rolled her eyes at the pet name before responding with a smirk, "Can a girl pack? I'm going to be gone for two months, come on!"

"Don't say two months like that, Syd, it sounds like eternity," Kelly said, sliding his arm around her waist and leading her into the living room and to the couch in front of the tv that was already turned to Netflix.

"You are preemptively missing me, how cute!"

Kelly's stomach once again twinged as Sydney's words reminded him of the deep pit in his stomach that he couldn't seem to get rid of. Sydney was right. He did already miss her, and she hadn't even left yet. Besides his buddies on the team and a couple new friends like the server from Graffiato, Kelly didn't have a big support group since this was his first year in D.C. Him and Sydney had been spending all their free time together, and he loved being around someone who understood and appreciated the demands of his career but also could treat him like a normal person.