The Glo Up II➳Andre Drummond

Andre stared as Kayla licked the cookie dough ice cream off her cone. He secretly wished she was licking something else, but he could wait for that. He spooned his ice cream out of the bowl he'd ordered and continued to watch her silently.

Kayla was still struggling herself to speak because she couldn't believe that this is the turn her night had taken. To walk out of her restaurant and hop into a black Escalade to sit beside Andre and head to ice cream was just unbelievable.

Neither of them could handle the sexual tension that had not disappeared in the hour they'd been apart. There were so many things they wanted to say, and somehow they knew that it would be best to just silently stare and smile at each other instead of voicing those desires. After all, it had been years since they'd really known each other. It was quite possible that their looks weren't the only things that had changed about them.

So Kayla was happy when Andre started their conversation.

"What has Kayla, number one tutor girl, been up to?" Andre asked.

Kayla blushed and smiled, somehow comforted in knowing that Andre hadn't forgotten who she was all those years ago.

"Well, I actually went to UConn for one semester before transferring to the University of Michigan and double majoring in Business Marketing and Finance and graduating in 3 years..." Kayla began to share.

"What?! Three years and you finished two majors? That's insane. Can't say I'm surprised though, you've always been extremely intelligent," Andre shared, "I always enjoyed just listening to you talk."

Kayla giggled, "Seriously? I always talked a lot..."

"You actually didn't at first. It seemed to take awhile before you warmed up to me, but once you did, it was like you couldn't shut up," Andre corrected her.

Kayla scoffed while trying to hide a smirk, "Oh, that's how you felt?!!"

Andre openly laughed, "I mean, it's not like I didn't like it. You always said really interesting stuff that there's no way I would've known. Which, we both know I'm a pretty sharp tool in the shed, but never as sharp as you."

Kayla blushed again, so flattered by Andre's kind words. She would've never thought he felt this way all those years ago. She didn't even think Andre thought twice about her.

"I can't believe you left me at UConn without even trying to find a brotha!" Andre sighed and shook his head.

Kayla found herself giggling again. This is why she'd fallen in love in high school. There wasn't one tutor session that he didn't have her laughing.

"It wasn't on purpose! I just...needed a change," she admitted, "I was ready to leave the Connecticut version of Kayla behind."

"I guess that's fair. So, how'd you go from Business Marketing and Finance to the restaurant business?" Andre asked.

"Well, I knew I wanted to work with people, and we both know I've always been bossy. That combined with my educational training, I figured why not give the restaurant business a try? It also helped that my favorite aunt happens to own a couple of these steakhouses in Michigan and immediately put me in a manager-in-training position," Kayla shared, perking up even more because she could go on and on about work.

"Wow, that's awesome. I bet your aunt wouldn't have placed you in that position right out of college if she didn't trust you and your capabilities. I know I always trusted you," Andre began to open up.

"Really? I though you and your teammates just wanted A's," Kayla brushed off Andre's statement and shrugged.

There's that lack of self-esteem again, Andre thought sadly before blurting out in frustration, "You don't realize how amazing you were back then, do you?"