The Unexpected➳Devin Booker

Christyn shifted in her seat for what felt like the fiftieth time. She couldn't seem to ignore the eyes that continued to look her way day after day in class.

Christyn was relatively quiet around people she didn't know, especially when she was in class because she took her education very seriously. She wasn't going to waste this full ride she'd earned by getting distracted during class time. Being a sophomore psychology major, she didn't know anyone in this class as it was one of her electives -- public speaking.

So, she sat in the lecture hall on about the fourth row every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with her coffee and laptop, minding her own business. Interestingly enough, someone in the class wasn't just minding his own business. Christyn, during all her time keeping to herself, had managed to get the attention of one of the best basketball players on the University of Kentucky's team. She'd somehow, unintentionally caught the interest of Devin Booker. And she really didn't know how to feel about it.

Every time they had class, he couldn't help it. At some point his eyes would drift to the beautiful and nameless young woman with caramel skin and shoulder-length black hair. When she gave her first speech, about the bad reputation college athletes get, he'd been captivated by her passion and intelligence. And ever since then he'd wanted to get with her but felt intimidated because he knew getting her attention wouldn't be like getting the attention of any other girl on this campus. Most girls just cared about how many points he scored on the court, but he knew she would be different.

Devin Booker was a pretty busy guy. A freshman ball player, considering going to the next level, while also playing a significant role in UK going for an undefeated season and a championship. So, he didn't have time for a relationship, but he also wanted companionship. A listening ear. A person he could go to and take a load off.

He'd struck out more than once. Sending mixed messages to two different girls who he thought understood his circumstances. But they seemed to take offense to his aversion to commitment. And this was his source of trepidation when it came to the mysterious beauty in his public speaking class.

That's until they were randomly paired up to do a presentation together...

Christyn waited outside the lecture hall, nervously repositioning herself as she leaned against the wall and waited for Devin to exit. The butterflies in her stomach attempted to take over completely, but she willed them to calm down just in time for Devin to exit the lecture hall with two of his basketball teammates.

"Hey Devin! Can we talk for a minute?" she called to him, grabbing his attention.

She was at least used to those eyes gazing at her in class, so him turning around to look at her didn't paralyze her like she was scared it would.

Devin nodded at his teammates who gave him not so subtle smirks before making their exit and leaving Devin looking into the hazel eyes of the woman he'd been admiring for weeks now.

"Hey Christyn, what's up?" he answered nonchalantly with his breathtaking smile and surprisingly deep voice.

Christyn couldn't help but smile back, trying to keep her composure as she was unable to stop admiring just how sexy Devin was. He was tall and lean, his muscles well-defined in the peach-colored pocket tee he wore with khaki joggers and oreo roshes. He also had this nonchalant demeanor about him that just emanated confidence, and Christyn was immediately hooked.

Devin leaned against the wall with his hands in his pockets, smirking at Christyn as he watched her attempt to not check him out. Not that it mattered since he was checking her out as well.

At 5'2", she had a petite body that made her seem tiny in comparison to Devin who stood tall at 6'6", but he didn't care. He was too busy admiring her thick hips encased in some jean cut offs that she stylishly coupled with a white tee and a baby pink, floral-patterned kimono that flowed down to her knees. Not to mention the brown strappy platform wedges that elongated her legs, which had Devin losing his train of thought.