Christmas Eve II➳Blake Griffin

Be my date this Christmas Eve
Be my holiday, my dream
Lay your head on me
I got you baby

Kissing underneath the tree
I don't need no presents girl, you're everything I need
Let me give you all of me, here
Together on this Christmas eve...

December 24, 2012

"I don't want a lot for Christmas. There is just one thing I need! And I don't care about the presents, underneath the Christmas tree! Oh I just want you for my own, more than you could ever know. Make my wish come truuee! All I want for Christmas is youuu!"

Bea could not believe that Blake had her caroling at people's doorsteps on Christmas Eve. As many times as she'd smiled at the carolers in any of the many wonderful Christmas movies she'd seen every year during this time, at no point did she think that meant that she should go caroling. And yet, here she was, with her arm around Blake's waist and his around her shoulders as they swayed back and forth to their own beat while they did their best not to butcher arguably one of the best Christmas songs in the history of Christmas songs.

But of course, Bea couldn't keep the smile off her face as this date progressed. Because Blake had turned a simple caroling adventure into so much more. First, it was clear he had been listening over the years that he and Bea spent together at the Los Angeles Mission. They always talked about favorite Christmas movies, songs, and just what they loved about the holiday. And so far, at some of the houses they had sung the songs that Bea loved the most. She thought it was just a coincidence at first, when Blake said, "Let's start off with an easy one likkkeee 'Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer." But, at the third house when he suggested "Jingle Bell Rock," she just knew he was picking all her favorite songs, which was only reiterated at their last stop when he picked "All I Want for Christmas Is You."

Second, they weren't just caroling. Blake had stashed his car with various Christmas gift baskets for adults, teens, and children, that he was surprising each family with after caroling. These baskets had iPads and iPhones, Beats headphones, gift cards to every shop and store imaginable, Clippers gear, concert tickets, Jordans, you name it, it was in there. And Bea's admiration for Blake only continued to soar.

For many professional athletes, community service and giving back just seems like an obligation or a chore that isn't incorporated into their regular schedule, but with Blake, she knew more about him as a community servant than she did about him as a basketball player. And this type of activity wasn't something that he got televised or that he wanted a whole bunch of people to know about. It's Christmas Eve. No one would fault Blake for deciding to stay home and enjoy some time with family and friends, but here he was, ignoring his lack of singing talent, and caroling and giving out gifts to families who thankfully have homes, but it is clear they don't have much else.

The house they were currently standing in front of had a hoopty in the driveway, and when this family of four came outside to listen, all Bea could see were holes in t-shirts and pajama pants, and two young boys in dire need of haircuts. Her heart went out to them, hoping there was a bigger blessing than even what Blake was doing tonight on the horizon for them. But this is why she loved the spirit of Christmas. To be able to give joy to her fellow human beings during a time when many people felt the pressure to be the perfect family or spend thousands of dollars on gifts, she was just grateful that Blake would even consider bringing her.

"Dad," the older son exclaimed, jumping up and down and pulling on his father's sweatshirt, "It's Blake Griffin! Can you believe it?!!"

The father laughed and rubbed his son's head, "I don't think I can, son, I don't think I can."