Chapter 25 - Edited

Dedicated to 1Directionlovexox ;) Thanks!

- - - - -

Max's POV

I made sure to tell Adam to watch over the pack as I came across a foreign smell somewhere along the borders of my territory. I didn't give him much detail from what I already knew. I never smelled this scent before, but it was strange. It had my wolf screaming, the same scream my wolf had done when Mari walked in my office earlier.

Mari.

Ever since the war with the Rift Valley Pack, there was something... between us. Ever since the first kiss we had shared, I just knew something was there. When my lips had made contact with her own luscious lips, there was a spark. In fact, every time we’ve kissed, it was there. I wasn't so sure what the spark meant, but as much as I would’ve loved to think about my princess's lips, I had a scent to track down.

I ran through the trees at a blinding speed, barely trying to be fast. In less than a minute I was at the boundary of my territory, and froze to sniff the air. The weird scent was closer now- much closer. Like it was behind me.

Swirling around, I bared my teeth, now alarmed. Going into my defense mode, I narrowed my eyes at all of my surroundings. Everything seemed perfectly fine. Squinting my eyes, I noted that everything wasn't fine. Because everything was just a little too quiet. Backing up, to get a better view, I couldn't find anything out of place.

Letting out a low growl, my ears perked up when I heard movement to my right. Keeping a close eye on everything, a small rabbit came jumping out of the bushes. When it ran away, I smelled the air once again and still could smell the foreign scent. I paused for a moment when I realized something.

The scent was moving. It seemed like it was inching far away from me.

'Follow it!' My wolf shouted at me. And that was just what I was about to do.

Following the scent as it moved away, it started to speed up. I picked up my pace too. It couldn't run too far, especially when going against an alpha.

In about ten more minutes, I thought I finally had who the scent belonged to. I was at a good distance away, but I was gaining on him. There was no way this was a female. I would've got them a while ago. I admit that I was playing with it, but still a normal female wolf wouldn't last. I was pretty sure it was a rogue. Because no pack member would be stupid enough to step onto another packs territory.

I saw a glimpse of the wolf, only seeing a shadow because it was so dark. The moon only illuminates so much light. Even with my extra senses, I couldn't get a good look. The wolf had gone through a large string of tall grass, and just when I jumped through it. The scent I was following disappeared into thin air. No matter what I did, searching for it for an hour, I had no luck in finding it again.

When I gave up, I roared loudly, breaking off some branches from trees. I was enraged, but not at the scent for passing through my packs territory, but at myself. How could I be so stupid to let that wolf go? Having the rogue run away from the likes of an alpha, made me feel weak. I felt like punching something. Shifting into my human form, I ran over to a large oak tree and slammed my fist into its trunk.