「006」

0 0 6

IF I RULED THE WORLD

══════↯══════

The bell rings and physical education begins. Everyone has finished changing and are already waiting for the whole class to join in. I take a step into the gymnasium to see what could have been enough space for three houses. There was a large glass ceiling in the center of the gymnasium where the sky was clear to see through. Wood floorboards were constructed onto the ground with sport line markings. A clear wax like glaze sealed everything onto the ground. There are bleachers and benches placed on the sides of the gym walls.

Although the gymnasium's structure captured my eyes, the student's captured my eyes even more. Everyone had the same clothing on. The same brand of clothes and shoes. I take a look at myself- I looked like a poor beggar. All of these rich kids standing in the same room disgusts me. Yes, I can say that I envy them, but there's no point since they're all basically the same thing. They're like a carbon copy of each other. Not even one of them are different.

I hear snickering coming from a nearby group of girls and boys. Their hands are covering their mouths as their eyes are scanning me up and down. It's possible to hear their laughter from a distance. They must all be laughing at the way I'm dressed. I have a plain white t-shirt on and sweatpants while they all had zip up jackets and shorts. A sigh escapes my mouth, good thing I also brought my black hoody. I quickly put my hoody on to hide myself.

Everyone also has different coloured clothing on. Even though they all had the same brand of clothes and shoes, they were all different colours. Most of them were bright colours, I hate bright colours. If I ruled the world, the colour of the clothes would be black, everything would be the shade black. Ah, how childish am I right now. I'm sixteen and I'm thinking about if I ruled the world. I dream to rule the world one day, but I don't mean the whole world, I mean my own world. I want a sense of control in my life that I used to have. I want a world where my family was still by my side. I know it's an unreasonable dream, but it's my dream.

The physical education teacher blows the whistle- class has began.

"I'm Mr. Song. I will be your physical education teacher for the whole year."

"Annyeonghaseyo, Mr. Song."

The whole class finally said something in common for once rather than just judging others.

"Alright class! As you can see, this is a co-ed class. I want to see you all behave well and remember to have fun. You guys will all be marked for your efforts, but if you wish to not participate, it won't affect me, it will affect you. Do you all understand?"

"Ne, Mr. Song!"

"Great! Since this is the first class, we will have a minor game. I've chosen dodgeball as the game we will be playing. You guys will split into two teams. I will be choosing captains. Go Haneul and Jeon Jungkook, you two will be captains today, please choose your team members."

Suddenly my mind came back from being blank. I didn't notice Jungkook was here. I guess I was too busy with my thoughts. Jungkook is the only person I know here. I'm not sure if I could even consider him as my friends yet, we've only talked to each other a few times. The only reason I know him was because we somehow became roommates.

I know who Jungkook is, but this is my first time seeing this Go Haneul guy. He looks like the type of person who all the girls fall for, but not me, I don't have time for filthy rich people. Somehow I recognize him, yet I don't. I'm pretty sure he's the school president. I hear his father is the owner of a large company. *sigh* Whatever.

Mr. Song continues to speak, "You may choose your team members now, Go Haneul and Jeon Jungkook. Haneul will be on the right side of the gymnasium, Jungkook will be on the left."

The two boys nodded and went to their respective side of the gym. Haneul picked his friends first. At least half of the girls in this class were either shouting to be on Jungkook's team or Haneul's. When were they so popular? I don't even care which team I end up on, but I do prefer Jungkook's team since I know him better. Jungkook and Haneul were picking people after one another since Mr. Song said Jungkook could pick first. Only the girls were left to be picked since the boys picked all the boys first. Of course it's always strength first rather than skill. This is what society is shaped it to be.

It was Jungkook's turn to pick, which means he'll be picking the first girl for his team. I wonder who will it be? I stood with the rest of the girls, but I stood out since I was wearing something different than all of them. All of the girls around me were squealing, awaiting for Jungkook's choice. Suddenly Jungkook pointed at me.

"You, Seo Yoonbyul, join my team."

Jungkook smiled, giving me the assurance that he didn't pick wrong. I fix up my glasses and tightened my ponytail. I walked towards Jungkook's side of the gym. I could hear all of the girls murmuring again. 'Why her?', 'Look at the way she's dressed', 'I can't believe Jungkook chose her'.

Another sigh escapes my mouth. I don't know whether or not I should feel happy that I was one of the first girls to be chosen, or if I should be upset about those girls' harsh words.

The game begins. The boys are aiming for the boys while the girls are aiming for the girls. Although all the girls are dressed athletically, they're actually quite weak. They can play the game, but not well. I can't really just say that without thinking about myself. I am also quite weak after all. The only sports I'm good at are sports that require focus rather than a lot of movement. Archery is one of my callings because it doesn't require a lot of work for my heart. 

━━━━━━━━━

I notice a girl trying to aim for me. I quickly dodge it. A few minutes into the game and all the girls are down and a few boys. There is still a few girls including me. How the hell am I lasting so long? 

I can tell the rest of the players who are still up are still judging me. It's all about status at this school right? The more rich you are, the more powerful your family is, the higher the status you have. I don't have any of those, I can just be considered as a peasant, maybe even a needle in a haystack. I dream of being less judged, I just dream of having a normal life again. If I ruled the world, I will soon gift myself with these dreams.

Because of my wandering thoughts, someone had accidentally aimed for my face. I really do hope that was an accident and not intentional. My glasses fall from the impact of the ball. There's a bruise on the left side of my cheek. It hurts. I managed to notice who threw it. It was none other than the other team's captain, Go Haneul.