「035」

0 3 5

WATERFALLS

══════↯══════

The sounds of waves start rolling and the squawking of seagulls grow closer. We both arrive at the place I said I was taking her to- the ocean.

"Here we are," I say while I spread my arms wide to showcase the scenery.

"What is this place Jungkook?" Yoonbyul asked while she took a step closer to the scenery, "Do you come to this place often?"

"Not really, only when I feel like I need a break."

"This is a good place. I feel better here," smiled Yoonbyul.

I smile back, "I like being near the ocean. Maybe it's because I'm a Busan kid, Busan is close to the sea after all." 

"Mhm, that makes sense."

I grab onto Yoonbyul's hand before telling her to follow me.

"Wow it's a large metal dock," gasped Yoonbyul before running off to take a seat on the edge of the dock. 

I take a seat next to her and stare across the never ending sea while letting out a long sigh. I turn my head and look at Yoonbyul. She had a wide smile as she was in awe with the scenery. Yeah, you know, the more I look at her, the more I smile. 

Suddenly a huge rock fell into the water at the nearby cliff. It made a loud resonating splash sound, as if a human had just jumped into the water. It had also fell down out of the blue, randomly, seemingly like a sign of foreshadowing. I turn to look at Yoonbyul, she's holding her ears in fear. 

"What's wrong Yoonbyul?" I ask with worry.

"I don't know. My ears started ringing when that large rock fell into the water," replied Yoonbyul while hitting her head.

"Stop! You're hurting yourself, don't hit your head."

"Jungkook, I don't know what's happening, but do you remember when I told you about my past?"

"Yes I do remember."

Yoonbyul lets out a long sigh before continuing, "Well, this may sound like the most weirdest thing ever, but I think I'm missing a part of my life..."

"What do you mean?"

"I remember something I don't remember. There's a lost memory inside my head. I can't recall how it happened, how I lost memory of that one event. I try to forget it, but like a habit it  goes astray."

"Don't force yourself too hard to remember it. When the right time comes, you'll eventually figure it out," I pat her back with reassurance.

Yoonbyul turns to face me, "Now is the right time. Jungkook, you're the one Hanbyul told me about today."

"Hm?"

"She told me that someone will take me to a familiar place, and I'm pretty sure my lost memory has something to do with the ocean."

My eyes widen as my heart drops just like it did today- again.

Yoonbyul continues while swinging her legs off the edge of the dock, "I know that this missing memory will help me answer some things in the future. Even though I know the answer, I continue to ask myself, what is missing? I just don't know when I'll find the truth, but thank you for helping me get a step closer to figuring it out. I don't know what I'd do without you."

I feel a burning sensation, my ears are turning red, "I cannot take credit for this. You're making the progress on your own." I can feel my face turning red as well. I promised you that I'd help you find the most beautiful moment in life, and I won't stop until I do.

"It's strange how we've only met each other for a year now, but I feel like I've known you since forever. Somehow we always cross paths with each other, this time by a connection with the ocean," mentioned Yoonbyul who stared at the waves of the ocean.

I turn my head again to face Yoonbyul, this time with a long stare. That's when it hit me, I'm more familiar with the two of us instead of being alone. How do I tell her this? How do I tell her that our connection with each other is much deeper than she thought? 

Y O O N B Y U L 

Waterfalls, waterfalls, love is just like the waterfalls. Tears are like waterfalls, it just drops down by its side forever and ever. The sound of the tide is never ending. Who would've thought that Jungkook would be the person Hanbyul was talking about? It's like as if Hanbyul has met Jungkook in the past or something. 

Anywhere I go, everything I see is a haze. I have no clear thoughts or memory of anything. Did I have an accident before the car crash? And does that accident have to do with the ocean? 

Ugh, this is stressing me out. It's making me want to tear my hair out. Why can't you just tell me the answer Hanbyul!? Where do I have to go to meet you by chance? 

I check the time, shit, it's close to the curfew time already? 

"Jungkook-ah! We gotta go, we're going to get in trouble!" I quickly grab his wrist and make him stand up. 

"Shoot, I completely forgot about the curfew," exclaimed Jungkook before he started running, "Come on Yoonbyul, let's go!"

I started running behind him. Why does he have to be so athletic? I'm nearly out of breath, yet he's still running. 

"Wait Jungkook, slow down! My heart is gonna burst from over working it," I make a short dash to catch up to him. "Ouch," I exclaim, "I just sprained my ankle."

I let out a long sigh, what kind of stupid cliche is this? Typical run and get a sprained ankle? What the hell.

"Are you okay? Can you walk?" asked Jungkook with concern.

"Yes I can," I replied while taking a step forward and almost tripping, "Never mind, I can't."

"Here, get on my back. I'll piggy-back you back to the dorm," suggested Jungkook. He was gesturing me to get on his back, but I kept refusing.

A few minutes later I was on his back and we were back at the school just in time. 

N A R R A T O R

"Where could you be?" asked someone who was out of their dorm just before curfew.

It was Haneul, he was pacing back and forth just in front of a hallway window. His thoughts have changed ever since he found out that Yoonbyul was his long lost first love. It was confirmed last week that this was the same Seo Yoonbyul he had met when he was a young child. 

Haneul's assistant helped him investigate his relationship with Yoonbyul. While his assistant was doing that, he found evidence- an image of the two together when they were kids. It wasn't just Haneul and Yoonbyul in the image, there were two other people in it that were adults. 

Haneul stopped pacing and began to repent. He felt so much regret for treating Yoonbyul that way. There's no way she'll ever accept him ever again. Haneul was an asshole, he knew that himself. 

There were sounds of the school gates opening, Haneul watched as Yoonbyul and Jungkook entered the school together. Haneul pouted with envy, there's no way for him to approach Yoonbyul without running into Jungkook in the process. He let out a sigh, "While you laugh, will I be able to laugh with you?"

A small smile appeared on his face before he headed for his dorm.