「042」

0 4 2

FIRE

══════↯══════

Jungkook stared back at Yoonbyul with his eyes wide-open. He thought to himself 'how did she know?' He never told her in-person about his feelings after all, but it was at this moment when Jungkook blinked his eyes and snapped back to reality. Turns out, the whole thing about him confessing his feelings to Yoonbyul was just in his thoughts this whole time. He was still standing outside his dorm room door with one hand on the handle ready to swipe his key card. 

"It sounded much easier to do in my thoughts," sighed Jungkook who stayed standing by the door, "Why did I have to be so completely drunk, drunk at that moment?"

Jungkook took a deep breath in before he unlocked the door and stepped in only to find Yoonbyul absent from the room. A single note was left on his desk from Yoonbyul, 'Cafe called me in for a sudden shift tonight, will be back a little past ten'. 

"Maybe another time," smiled Jungkook, "One day I will tell her... in person."

Y O O N B Y U L

"Why did they call me in for a shift today?" I mumble angrily before storming my way towards the cafe, "I was going to nap for the rest of the day."

When I'm half-motivated, I'm out of my mind, like an insane person. Jinkyung unni, why must you call me in during my break? I let out a sigh and walked towards the cafe, hopefully Jungkook read the note about me coming back late.

━━━━━━━━━

"I'm here!" I exclaimed while changing into my uniform in the employee room.

"Oh you're here Yoonbyul? Thanks for coming in so last minute, I'm sorry for not notifying you earlier," apologized Jinkyung.

"No worries, I was just going to nap for the rest of the day anyways," I laugh as I tie my hair up.

"Honestly I wish I could do that, but being manager means only two days off every week," sighed Jinkyung, "Well let's get the last of these orders done, there's been lots of orders for caramel macchiatos this evening."

"Okay, I'll power through and get this finished," I say as Jinkyung and I did a quick 'fighting' gesture.

I check the time, it's currently 6PM, I have a four hours before my shift ends. It almost seems like I'll be working until the dawn breaks at this point. I wash my hands at the cleaning station and met up with Eunhye who was busy taking orders and making iced americanos. 

"Hey Yoonbyul, thank god you're here, Heeyoung had to leave for an appointment and we didn't realize how short staffed we were today. It's just going to be you and I making coffee all night," laughed Eunhye who was rapidly stirring coffee.

"Alright, let's do this Eunhye. With your fists up, all night long, in marching footsteps, jump, and go crazy, we can get this done!"

"You damn right Yoonbyul, I'm loving your fire spirit, with all this coffee surrounding us I guarantee we're gonna end up jumping around all crazy later."

We both laugh at our lame enthusiasm and began taking orders and brewing coffee.

━━━━━━━━━

The final few customers began to roll in. I check the time, there's still an hour until the cafe closes.

"Yoonbyul, can you take the order for that last customer, I'm busy making two fruit juices right now," asked Eunhye who was blending a cup of fruit.

"I got it!"

I walk over to the cash register and looked up at the customer, ready to take his order. He had a black sweater with the hoody over his head and a black mask that covered half of his face, but I could tell that he was a student.

"Hi there, what can I get you?"

"Just one caramel macchiato please, small and less sugar."

"Okay, one small caramel macchiato with less sugar. That'll be $3.25 and may I please get your name?" I ask with my pen ready in hand.

"Just my initials K.J.H. will be fine, thank you," he replied while paying by debit.

I take a closer look at the boy while he was paying to try to identify if he was a student at my school, he certainly is not because this is the first time I've seen him and I usually recognize all the students from my school, but those eyes of his, where have I seen them before? And the way he speaks with such manners, where have I heard that kind of tone? I shake that thought away, I'll think about it after my shift is over. 

While Eunhye started cleaning up and flipping the 'open' sign to the 'closed' side, I finished making the boy's caramel macchiato. He picked it up and did a small bow to say thank you once more before walking out of the cafe. What a mysterious person...

Finally! My shift is over! I say goodbye to Jinkyung and Eunhye then headed back to the dorm. The initials of the boy kept on floating around my head as I made it into the school building. I open the door to my dorm and it finally struck me of who he possibly was. 

"No way, it can't be him, could it?"

H A N E U L

When I wake up in my room I have nothing, all I do is stare at this empty ceiling in this dorm. I keep getting flashbacks from last night. I aggressively ruffle my hair to forget what had happened in front of me, I refuse to believe it, it's all a mess, living like beep. 

How is Jungkook beating me? Oh wait I know why, Yoonbyul clearly dislikes me no matter how hard I try to be nice to her. If only I didn't treat her that way, and even if she wasn't my first love, would I have even changed?

I thrash around my bed in frustration. I'm such a piece of shit. I'm literally the secondary character in this whole story of ours. What even are my chances against Jungkook? I have to admit, I am jealous of his lifestyle, I wanted to chase my dreams of being an idol too but my father objected despite him always telling me; 'Just live how you want, your life is yours'. This is why I dislike Jungkook, he gets to live the life that I wanted- I can't help but envy him.

Am I really living the life that I want right now? If I don't try so hard would everything between Yoonbyul and I be better? This has become a competition between Jungkook and I, it's alright to lose  now, but I will soon earn Yoonbyul's trust as a friend- at least. Let's just hope that this will only be a competition between us.