1

Kyara McKinley
February 8, 2015
Sunday | 9:00 p.m.

Hearing the loud sound of thunder and rain I sighed heavily

Hearing the loud sound of thunder and rain I sighed heavily. Here I was at the age of twenty and spending such a down day cooped up in my little apartment all alone. Rolling my eyes I stood up from my desk and made my way to the bedroom. In nearly ten hours from now I had to start the work week off which I wasn't looking forward to.

I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Kyara Brooke McKinley and I'm a twenty year old private attorney for a well known law firm. For the past two years I've taken on cases that were small to ones that hit the daily news. I've made a name for myself and I plan to keep it that way for as long as I can.

Putting my reading glasses on I opened the case file I just received as of Friday. Going over the alleged crimes and reports I couldn't help but to be disappointed. I caught myself reading over every single detail for the fifth time since the file was placed in my hands.

This man had some petty juvenile crimes but what he was being accused of was far from child's play.

Hearing my phone vibrate I grabbed it and answered immediately.

"Hey baby girl how are you?" My father's voice played in my ear.

"Good daddy. Just going over this case for tomorrow."

"I have faith in you baby girl. I know it's going to be a tough one but you got this."

"You sure you couldn't take on this case?" I rubbed my temples and sighed.

Might I add that the law firm I work for is family owned. My great grandfather built McKinley and Law from the bottom up. My father would say it was his first baby. When he passed it was given to my father. One day it will be mines or my younger brothers Kenny if he ever stop chasing skirts and get serious. I really hope that he does because I'm starting to get bored with this.

"No I couldn't. What got you so doubtful that it won't be another win?" He let out a small chuckle.

"Oh no I know it's going to be another win. I just..nothing daddy I'm fine." I lied of course.

Reading over his name I frowned. Armani Hayes didn't sound like the name of a man being accused of killing some eighteen year old street kid. The media and community are going insane about this killing. Whatever I do I must find a way to secure my own well being as well as Mr. Hayes.

"You got this KY (Kay). I'll see you tomorrow after my court case. Don't forget you have to meet Mr. Hayes where he is being held."

"Wait he didn't get bail?"

"Sadly not yet. They will rehear that on Tuesday. It's up to you to persuade them. The first time he had a racist public defender."