34

Kyara McKinley
July 17, 2015
Friday | 9:15 p.m.

My eyes opened and I panicked unaware of where I was. A machine sounded loudly sending a swarm of people inside of the room I was in. My eyes wondered and I finally realized that I was in the hospital. My thoughts raced as I remembered the events that took placed what felt like moments ago. I could still hear Ava screaming for her father as she was wrapped in my arms.

"Ma'am I need you to relax. Can you tell me what day it is?"

"How long have I been in here?" I asked.

"A day."

"Is Ava okay?" I questioned, the sound of the machine repeatedly beeping started to give me a headache.

"The little girl who keeps asking for you is perfectly fine. A bit shook up and exhausted but fine. I will have someone bring her in so she can stop worrying. The man who brought you in blacked out and has yet to wake up. After doing labs we realized that he was extremely dehydrated along with dire exhaustion. He should be fine once all of his fluids are received." The doctor spoke.

"Can you please shut this damn machine up." I huffed.

"Sure. Sorry about that." He replied, walking over to the machine and hitting a few buttons. "Ms. McKinley you are very lucky. You were hit by two stray bullets and luckily neither hit a major limb or artery." He smiled.

"I don't feel anything. Is that normal?" I asked.

"For now yes. We had to put you on some heavy dosages of pain meds. You woke up a few times screaming. I'm pretty sure you will fall back to sleep after our conversation. It should wear off soon and then you will be visited by the police for questioning sadly."

"Can I see Ava now?" I asked.

"Sure I'll bring her right in. One more thing Ms. McKinley." He sighed, signing off on my chart before looking my way. "You were suffering a miscarriage all while everything unfolded yesterday. It was ectopic and you were very lucky that your fallopian tube didn't burst. From your blood results it seems that you haven't been getting the proper nutrients meaning you haven't eaten that much lately. Based on your last visit you are down a good ten pounds. Basically you saved yourself from from bleeding to death. Without eating you prevented the fetus from growing more." He informed. I took a minute to take in everything that he had stated.

"Can you not speak about it anymore unless we are alone." I mumbled. He nodded his head and left the room leaving me to sulk in my own thoughts.

I knew that I was having a miscarriage the minute my cramps got worse after the gym. My mind was so focused on making sure that Akira was fine that I ignored my own health. I for sure knew while on my way into my apartment. The feeling of dejavu came back to me which had me highly emotional. I didn't want Armani to know at all so it would be something I kept to myself.

"Ky?" Ava little body appeared at the door. I smiled sluggishly feeling the medicine working it's power.

"Hey babygirl. Are you ok?" I asked.

"Can I lay with you?" She asked sweetly.

I looked to the doctor and nodded my head. He helped her up and pulled the side bars up so that she didn't fall. I used my right hand and rubbed her back.

"Ava.." I called, only to hear her breathing level out.

Looking down I realized that just as fast as she'd gotten up her that she fell asleep. Smiling I pulled the cover over her and I myself drifted back off to sleep.

11:50 p.m.

I woke up to the sound of crying and looked around my dark room. Ava shifted on me causing a slight pain in my side. I could tell by how bad I felt that the medicine had fully worn off by now.