Chapter 4: Get Your Diego Hands Off Me!

I walked back into the house, pulling my headphones out my ears as I closed and locked the door. It hadn't taken as long as I thought it would have. The fries were still warm too so I walked in search of my father. I found him in the kitchen, hugged up against his wife; their backs were turned to me. His arms I could tell where wrapped around her waist. I cleared my throat and the two jumped.

My father turned and looked surprised, his eyes widened at the sight of me. I held up the bag and said, "I got your fries."

He didn't reply, didn't even look away from my hair. My frown couldn't get any deeper. Then his wife gasped as she turned from the dishes. Her hand over her mouth as she stared at it as well. I figured that was the reaction I was going to get from the dramatic change.

"What did you do to your hair, Katherine?" My father asked.

I shrugged. "I wanted to look different, for a new life. You know?"

There was silence before he said, "I understand. But is that truly the hairstyle you wanted?"

I bit on my bottom lip and nodded. "I think it helps me get out of my shell and lets me express myself more." 

"That's for certain." His wife said her big round blue eyes couldn't leave my head.

I turned and walked out the room, up to my bedroom where I sat my salad down on my desk. I turned to the mirror on my dresser and stared at the newfound stranger that looked back at me. I don't know how this had happened.

After I had agreed to go with the redhead girl, she took me to the shop. I noticed that she was a trainee. So I requested someone who was a professional. I soon found that she was the only available hairstyle person. I went along with it, hoping she wouldn't ruin my hair.

She did what she had said outside. She put in a relaxer and leave-in conditioner. But then after blow-drying it, she said, "Don't you want a new style?"

After considering it, I thought I should make a new me for this new life so I agreed. She started busting out with ideas and I shrugged saying the stupid words, "I don't care. Just change it."

And then all hell broke loss. It was terrible. I shouldn't even have agreed to the insane girl. As soon as I got outside people stared as I jogged back home. I didn't like attention but now I really attracted it. My hair wasn't long anymore; the back was cut all the way above my neck, exposing it. In the front I had a large side bang that covered my right eye almost completely. She had dyed it black but that wasn't the part that attracted people. All the back of my head was black but the bang; the stupid side bang was a bright pink. That's not all though; there was strip of a black and white checkered piece at the very edge.

Now people would stop and stare at me like I was just getting out of girl jail. My eyes looked mysterious, a change of color that lead to it being a light emerald green. My messy curls were gone, my hair jet straight. I guess that was beneficially. I looked older and more dark and mysterious.

Then I realized something when I looked in the mirror, noticing the name on my laptop. Katherine spelled out with sticky letter on it. Katherine. I noticed that the name didn't match the new look I had going on. It appeared, like it knew I was calling for one.

Kylie.

It matched me perfectly. I decided that was the name I would go by from this point on. I turned from the mirror and went over to my salad, eating it slowly. Out the window I watched as the sun began to crawl underneath the sky for the moon to shine its own light.

What was going to happen from this point on? Then what happened yesterday hit me back in the face. My stomach curled in disgust and my heart ached. I hated that those were my last words to her. I pulled out my cell phone and dialed the home number to her house. But my finger lingered on the call button. Was I really prepared to talk to her? Did I even want to talk to her? I felt guilty and sad but I couldn't always be the one to crawl back.