Chapter 6: Assigned Seats... Um! I'm Not in KINDERGARTEN!

I wasn't really shocked; I had kind of expected her to do that. Which was why I just stared and watched as Evan's body seemed to stiffen and his eyes were open, staring at Bridget's closed eyelids. It seemed as if this routine had been played a lot.

Quickly, I stumbled up the stairs and to the door. I was ready to get away from them. I liked Evan, but not like that. Which was also why I didn't give a flying fartball if he had a girl already. Who cares? I didn't even know the guy like that.

I wasn't the type of girl to fall for someone, like love at first sight, which was stupid. I waited before I began to get all romantic and talking about my feelings. I opened the door I had left unlocked and walked inside, closing it behind me.

I signed in relief, closer to my bed where I could sleep peacefully and went straight towards my room. I was passing the kitchen when I heard my father voice call out to me, "Katherine?"

I signed, this time in annoyance, before walking inside the kitchen.

He looked at me, raking his eyes up and down. "Where have you been?"

"Jogging." I stated, ready to go to sleep already.

Shaking his head he spoke again, "Jogging, and you came back with dried blood on your temple and covered in dirt. Katherine, I know you're almost eighteen and all but right now you're still a child. And you're living under my roof. I need to know what's going on, Katherine. I don't like worrying."

I held back the annoyed sign I wanted so desperately to let out. I nodded and said, "I found a skate park and started skateboarding. Had a few mishaps though."

It wasn't technically a lie, just a cover up of the truth of what really happened there. I held up the skateboard and pointed at my head and gestured at my clothes.

My father nodded and said, "Next time call or leave a note. I'll call you a few times to make sure everything is going okay."

I nodded and turned to walk out the room. That's when I remembered something.

"Dad." I said, the word having trouble coming out of my mouth. I wasn't used to it, I thought quietly to myself. That's why it felt strange to say the word at all.

"Yes?" I heard him say.

I took a deep breath and turned and looked at him. "It's not Katherine. It's Kylie."

With that being said, I left the room, climbing up the stairs slowly. In my room I found some pajamas and went to take a shower. Afterwards, I put a bandage on the little cut on my temple and checked my body for any other injuries.

I did notice the dark and purple bruise on my arm where that crazy nut job had gripped me way too tightly. Other than that, I was good. I crawled under my comfortable sheets and instantly, I was sleep.

*

"Wake up, Kat-- Kylie." I heard someone saying as my shoulder was being shaken.

I struggled to open my eyes, groaning at the light that was glaring through the glass windows. My body was sore but other than that, there was no pain.

"What?" I groaned, pushing to sit up and turn to the person who was trying to wake me up. It was my father's wife. I didn't even know the lady's name.

"School time." She replied, lifting off the bed and walked towards the door.

School? My brain suddenly sped up to the words being said. "What? What's today? How?"

She glanced back at me. "Your father was going to explain it to you but you wouldn't wake up yesterday for anything. It's Monday and you're going to school at Brooks Magnet High School."