Chapter 35: Good News? Bad News.

"Tell me, dammit!" Evan yelled at the lady behind the desk. "I don't give a fuck about your damn hospital rules, tell me what the hell is going on!"

Dexter clamped a hand down on his friend's shoulder and pulled him back into the yellow waiting room. "Calm down, Evan. The doctors are still at work, I'm sure everything is going to be okay."

He turned sharply on Dexter; Evan was blind with a lion rage that bubbled off his body and start into the atmosphere. He had fainted and lost consciousness but when he had awoken he had found himself in his bed. His injuries had slightly healed and he knew that too much time had passed between the period he remembered and the period was at now.

His mother wasn't there and nor was the car, so he had called Dexter who had told him what he missed out on.

Kylie was alive.

Good news.

But she wasn't waking up, at all.

Bad news.

So Evan had forced Dexter to bring him to the hospital and here he was demanding for an explanation before he started to blow the place up. If he didn't do something, anything, he would go crazy with anger or die in grief and loneliness. Evan had chosen to deal with everything in anger and so Dexter's words caused him to snap.

"You don't a damn thing. Nothing fucking works out, at all, never. I thought she was dead and she could still die, she's threading a damn needle right now. And I don't even get to see her?"

Dexter couldn't look his friend in the eye anymore. There was so much sorrow, anger, frustration, and loneliness inside of those eyes that used to be so frightening dead that Dexter couldn't beat the sight of them. Just looking into them made him feel like he was wrapping himself in his own pity and deep darkness, so instead Dexter looked at the ugly urine color of the wallpapers just pace Evan's head and then responded, more to the wall than anyone.

"She's not dead, she's in a coma. There's a difference. Just calm down, man. I'm telling you she'll be awake and back to her old self before you know it. We know her, she's a fighter that one. She doesn't want to die, if anything she'll be hanging on the claws of life like a crazy person."

Evan glanced over at his friend, at his best friend, and felt all his anger drain away and he dropped into the chair behind him. Running his hands madly through his wild and thicker hair and then buried his face into his hands. He was being such an ass but all his anger wasn't directed at Dexter, this was his entire fault. All of it. And if it wasn't for him, Kylie wouldn't be in a coma or halfway dead right now.

Before Evan could respond and tell Dexter just how much Kylie had changed over time and might not actually want to leave anymore, the doors of the waiting room opened quickly and a doctor came inside with a grim look on his face. The same Doctor that had said his mother was in a coma but she had appeared on the lines on her job, as if nothing was wrong with her. What the hell was up with that anyways? I was so caught up in Kylie that I had forgotten to wonder about where the hell his mother had come from. When had she gotten out of the coma? Was she even in a coma? What did any of this mean?

The Doctor took a look at Evan and something flickered in his face. However, Evan hadn't managed to catch it but he narrowed his eyes at the old man and decided to voice his thoughts. Or maybe it was just an excuse to prolong what the man was going to say about Kylie. Seconds ago he had wanted to know but now the thought of knowing, of bearing the knowledge of what he had caused her, made him sick to his stomach. Just a little longer.

"You told me my mother was in a coma. Why was she doing her job as if nothing had happened?"

The Doctor shifted uncomfortably. "I'm sorry but I had mistaken your mother for someone else, the young lady continued to say your name and I only figured she was someone dear to you."

Evan furrowed his brow and tried to remember that night as clearly as he could. He had been at the skate park and made it home late, but before he could even enter the house the neighbors came bouncing off their porches and telling him that someone had broken into his home. They had called the police and said that someone had carried a person out of the house that seemed to be in a bad shape. Evan had panicked and called Dexter to tell him and then rushed to the hospital, automatically assuming it was his mother because who else would be in the house otherwise?

So it wasn't his mother than who was it? And the way the Doctor talked about the young lady was making something tingle in his mind, something he couldn't grasp. Dexter's face had drained of color completely and Evan could feel the tension in the air. Somebody was hiding something.

"So who was it? And you spoke of her in past-tense, is she dead?"

The Doctor shifted uncomfortably on his feet. "Yeah, I'm afraid so. Her name was Bridget I believe. I assume you knew her?"

This stuck him and he blinked in surprised. Bridget? Why would she be at his house that late at night and who would want to kill her? And why would they mistaken her as his mother, she looked young; at least she did to him. It didn't make sense at all. But Evan's minded turned back over and went back to Kylie, and his impatient rose up and out all the way. It was time to know.

"Do you have an update on Kylie? Is she going to be okay?"

Now this seemed to make the Doctor very nervous. The Doctor whipped his brow with the back his jacket and then looked at Evan, straight in the eye.

"I'm afraid we can only say that we don't believe she'll ever wake up."