Chapter 31: Our First Mistake

Jordan glanced at the space that sat in front of her and tried not to choke. The gun slipped from her hand and clattered onto the ground. Right before her eyes, the two prisoners jumped to their own death. Instead of feeling relief that she hadn’t had to pull the trigger, she felt shocked and shaken up on the inside, and that fact puzzled her the most. 

But why was that the case? They deserved it, this is what her father wanted so badly, or was it? He had told her that all she needed to do was capture them and bring them down to the hold town building, let them see all the people they held for disobeying or finding something out that concerned their organization.

Of course her father had taken the time to explain everything to her, that when he wasn’t home he was actually drug dealing and murdering people. That day, the feeling of betrayal was strong and the hatred was beginning to grow. Until he said that if Jordan helped his cause and his work, he’ll bring her mother back.

The woman who had went missing when she had her fifteenth birthday, just up and disappeared. It had left her grieving in bed for whole weeks and so when he offered that deal what else could she do? Now here she was, holding or was, having a gun in her hands, the power to kill someone within her. And yet, when those two risked their lives, to the point where they’ll drop off a twenty feet fall was beyond her.

Jordan made her way towards the latter that was so clever hidden. But only after picking up the gun she had dropped. If felt as if a hand was tightening around her heart as she made her way down the ladder, choking up her throat and making her pulse rise. She didn’t want to hurt anyone, but if she wanted to have her old life back this was the only way to do it.

Her father had given her precise instructions, she was to kill them.

“Evan.” The moan came out in his name and I felt the sharp pain in her head easing up just slightly, before slamming back in full force. I tried to move my legs and another jolt of red shocking pain soared through me. A lump formed in my throat as I tried to move my legs again and the pain jumped sky rocket. Why couldn’t I move my legs? Was I paralyzed? Did I break my back?

“Oh god, oh god, oh god no,” The words tumbled out of my mouth with panic as the pain dropped just a bit. Then I realized that my eyes were closed and my head was pressing against a hard cold and sticky ground. My head felt like it was spilt in two and my vision blurred as another bolt of pain went through me.

“Evan.” The word came out choked and half said and I tried again, more loudly, “Evan.”

A grumbling sound came from my right side and shuffling occurred before someone popped up in my eye sight.

“Kylie, are you okay?” His eyes seemed unfocused and his face was turned down in a grimace, yet he was scanning me for injuries. 

I opened my mouth to reply, only to cough and gasp for breath that I couldn’t seem to take in anymore. That’s when the realization came to me, right at that moment. Something was lying on top of my back, something hard and heavy that was probably the reason why I couldn’t move my legs. My hands ached and I didn’t notice that I was clawing at the slightly muddy and hard ground, trying to get out from underneath what was on top of me.

Evan’s eyes slowly became clearer and when he looked me over again, his face paled. “Kylie, stop, just stop for a minute.”

At the sharpness and panic in his voice, I froze quickly and stared into his eyes, scared to look away. “W-what?” 

My tongue was dead weight and it hurt to even form words. Evan moved out of vision and I screamed. “Evan, d-don’t… leave m-me.” 

He popped back into view and glanced at me with an overwhelming about of worry in his face. “Kylie, I’ve got to get the board off you, just give me a sec.”