Chapter 26: Depression, Grief, and Anger

Carl's hand reached out so fast, it was a blur in the air. He gripped the front of my shirt and yanked me forward so much that I found him behind him, my back slammed into the wall.

"Jordan, come hold her down."

I struggled against his hand that still had a tight grip on the front of my hoodie. Bastard! He was too strong for me. In no time Jordan had my hands and as soon as Carl let me go, she had them pinned. She dragged me over to the front of Carl and Evan.

Evan glanced at me, making eye contact. My lips tightened as I watched him look back at Carl, his shoulders squared with determination.

"Evan, boy. You don't seem to understand that I'm serious. Haven't you been learned your lesson before?" Carl said, his eyes glinting with fresh anger though his voice didn't give it away.

Evan's jaw clenched and his hands balled up into fist. He didn't reply, but he didn't have since Carl continued to talk.

"That girl is mines, get that through your thick skull." He said, his eyes flickering briefly to me and I scowled, but this time I knew go bite my tongue and keep my mouth shut. "I had you trained boy! You don't let all that go down the drain and bring this garbage to me!"

I flinched from the anger he let fall sharply in his shouting voice. My skin pricking with coldness. Carl's hand flew out, a motion my eyes couldn't follow. Evan hit the ground hard, his face turned away from me. I watched with wide eyes as Carl brought his fist back to his side, a vein popping visibly against his forehead.

Evan got to his feet, his free hand pressing to his side. Only when he stood straight did Carl grab him by his medium long black hair and yank him towards him, hitting him in the stomach over and over again. His grunting and struggling sounds was horrifying to hear and I squeezed my eyes shut before forcing them open.

Evan was fighting back, punching Carl in his stomach, kicking him in his mid thigh, put his efforts seemed fruitless. Carl didn't flinch, his face twisted with cold and pure anger. I struggled against Jordan, then I kicked my foot back, making contact with her knee harshly. She yelped, letting go of my wrist, and I raced forward, my heart pounding in my ears.

The only thing running through my mind was his name. Evan, Evan, Evan. Just as Carl was reaching out his fist, to punch again, I grabbed his wrist, fresh tears rolling down my cheeks. Only then did I realize I was sobbing.

Surprised, Carl let go of Evan's hair, and Evan staggered back, spitting blood on the ground. I didn't even realize I was screaming my head off as I choked for oxygen.

"Stop! Stop! I'll do anything, just stop hurting him! Please, just stop!" I yelled, pleadingly as I gripped Carl's wrist tightly. The anger in his face died down and he smiled, yanking his hand out of my grip easily.

"Shut up." He said and instantly I clamped my mouth shut and he smiled at me. "Since you've said that, I think I'll take you up on that."

I froze as I watched his eyes glint with a new emotion. Mischievous. Evan glanced up at me through his thick black hair and I stared at him, choking quietly on the fear that created a lump in my throat. What had I just gotten myself into?

Carl glanced over at his daughter who was leaning against the wall rubbing her knee while flinching occasionally. The blood from her nose had dried and looked nasty on her usual pretty face.

He looked at me again. "You surely got a look of fire in you."

Fear bubbled in my stomach, causing me to keep my mouth shut, my teeth biting the inside of my cheeks so badly I was beginning to taste blood.