Chapter 5: Walk the Dog. I Won!

Something was tickling my nose, and I patted at with my hand. When it didn't stop, I forced my eyes to open, my peacefulness gone and my body quickly reminded me that it was in pain. Something soft was wrapped tightly around my head and I sat up slowly, a dizziness passing over me. I turned to the person who was holding a leaf in their hands.

"What are you doing?" I asked Evan, who was staring at my with an emotionless look. Man, what was this dude's problem? Loosen up a little, gosh. But I wasn't really one to talk.

"I've been trying to wake you up." He replied, standing up from his crouched position. I struggled to get to my feet until Evan grabbed my hand and easily pulled me upright.

"Thanks." I said, stretching my body out, every part of me aching. I touched my temple; a soft material that felt like cotton was around it. That's when I noticed that Evan's long sleeve navy blue shirt was now a sleeveless shirt.

I signed and said, "Thanks for this too." as I pointed at my head. He only nodded, his muscular arms attracting my attention a little too much.

I looked him in the eye and asked, "How long was I lying there?"

"Thirty minutes." He replied, looking away from me and in the direction of people who were playing on the ramps and rails.

I scratched the back of my head and spoke, "Felt like longer than that."

No respond, not like I was waiting for one. I touched my pockets; my iPhone was still there with my headphones. I signed again and began to walk into the light of the skate park.

That's when I noticed something in Evan's dead eyes. I saw something like longing. I followed his glaze back to the skate park at the groups of people clapping each other's shoulders and doing tricks.

I titled my head in that direction and look at him, "You ride?"

He looked at me and that dead look was back in his eyes. He didn't answer, just simply looked at me. I knew that look; it was the look I gave to people when they asked about my family at home. The look that said, you don't understand so there's no point in talking.

I let out a long loud breath and asked, "Why did you quit?"

I saw a little shock on his face before, like every other emotion, it disappeared so quick if you hadn't been looking for an emotion you wouldn't have noticed.

"I didn't say I rode."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not stupid, Evan. I give people that look too. You've ridden in the past and then for some strange reason you dropped it. I don't care if you don't want to tell me, it's your business. I'm just asking."

He stared at me, as if he was trying to figure me out. "Okay."

I nodded and continued out the cluster of trees, surprised to see Evan walking at my side, his hands stuffed into the pockets of his black jeans.

"Want me to walk you home?"

I glanced over at him, a little angry boiling up on the inside of my body. I crossed my arms as we walked back the way I had come from.

"I'm not some pathetic and weak girl that can't handle herself, Evan. I'm perfectly fine without you trying to walk me home like I don't know self defense."

Evan glanced at me before saying flatly, "I'm walking you home because me and James have some unfinished business. So if he comes after you, I can handle it. Since you rudely interrupted it."

My face flushed at the fact that I had figured he wanted to walk me home to protect me. What was I thinking these days? I dropped my arms to the side and quickened the pace even though my legs burned and my head pounded harder with each step.