Epilogue

Epilogue

“I brought you some good news, Kylie.” Evan said softly, looking at her face which stayed unmoving. “You know, usually I just read to you and I know it’s boring.”

There was no respond, but after two months Evan wasn’t actually expecting one anymore, however he never lost hope that she’ll recover. That today was going to be the day that her eyes opened and looking over at him with that wicked mischief and passion. Though, that day still hadn’t come that didn’t stop him from spending all the time he could with her, his heart yearned for her and the grief was so hard he kept himself locked in his room all the time unless he came out to visit her.

“Remember what I always say.” Evan spoke softly, she was the only one he spoke to now, and he ignored everyone else. Nobody else seemed as important as she did. The last time he had spoken to people was at Bridget’s funeral and that was an awful event that he wasn’t willing to reply, not ever again. “If you can hear me, do something, move a finger or your eyes; just give me some sort of a sign. Okay?”

Again, Kylie didn’t move not even the tiniest. His eyes stayed focus on her, moving over her body in search for any type of movement, continuing to do so even as he spoke to her.

“They finally caught Carl and put him in jail, for life too.”

Nothing.

“Oh, and you’re mother got out along with the rest of them and she’s safe in a nursing home since she had nowhere else to go. You’re dad takes care of all of that though so she’s okay.”

Again there was nothing.

A brief wave of sorrow washed over him and he reached across the covers and grasped her cold hands, giving them a good squeeze but held on like it was his life on the line. Sometimes he wished it was. Evan’s eyes filled with tears but they didn’t move and they didn’t fall, they never did. He felt that if he cried that meant he’ll lose all the hope and it’ll wash away just like the tears. But that meant keeping all this sorrow bottled up and it made him feel as if he was going to explode into nothing but tears.

Evan swallowed the lump in his throat and spoke the words he hadn’t ever gained the courage to tell her. He spoke them to her know, for the first time. Now that he finally believed it though it still hurt since he couldn’t say it when she was awoke.

“I love you.”

And for the first time, her fingers twitched and her hand tightened on his before they loosened and went back unmoving and dead. But it was a start and a new hope was furious inside of him because Kylie was going to wake up, they weren’t done. Especially now that James still hadn’t been caught and the people were piling up more and more.

This was only the beginning and Evan spoke softly, so softly that he couldn’t hear himself.

“It’s time to wake up, Kylie.”