Chapter 32: Now Where Were We?

Carl smiled brightly as the sounds of the loud boom the vibrated and echoed into the small office he was in. Glancing up at the frightened man before him, he kept the smile clear on his face.

"Now where were we?" He said clearly, standing out of the black chair that creaked in relief from the loss of weight. Carl lightly dragged his fingers across the smooth wooden table until he stood before the men that were closer to the door than to him. "I believe we were in the middle of discussing your claims of arrest?"

The chubby one cleared his throat and even though his brown eyes looked straight at Carl, there a feeling of afraid floating around him, wrapping the whole room in the stink of fear and worry. The chubby police office cleared his throat one more time before replying.

"That's correct. Evidence has lead straight to you in the concerning of murders, missing people, and the usage and sell of drugs. We're here to bring you into custody and if you just follow me there will be no trouble."

Carl shook his head slowly. "I think you are heavily mistaken. Do it look like I sale drugs or kill people?"

The woman officer that stood stiffly next to the chubby one looked Carl over slowly and carefully with her intense sky blue eyes. And it indeed in fact looked like he wasn't the type of person who'll be able to do such a thing. They had drove all the way into the depths of the poor area of Chicago and found an old building that was slowly falling apart. It stood above the sewer system, a bigger part of it, but was left abandoned from its brokenness. Only certain parts of it was still solid and good but even those was too weak to construct into something better so the city left it alone completely and was in the slow process of knocking it down.

But not without finding a way to not interfere with sewers below that could cause a flood somewhere in the area that'll be too hard to deal with. Now where they stood was in the best part of the building, which seemed to be made a bit steadier than it was before. However, anyone who was dumb enough to stay here, to build a drug dealer organization would be considered stupid. Usually they found the criminals in more isolated and rich type of places where they could show off their elaborate wealth and wore clothes that made them seem like they were higher up than the rest of the citizens.

Now as the woman looked this man up and down, she found nothing out of place or weird on him that suggested he was in any type of crime. He was dressed as any other hard worker, a pair of black sweatpants and a blank tank top and full of sweat and mud that was smeared on him. His hair was ruffled and out of place and his eyes had slight bags underneath them, as if he hadn't been getting enough sleep lately.

Still, the woman officer refused to give up and returned to glaring him straight in the eye. "Your appearance doesn't tell me anything. We'll be back with a warrant to search the place and bring you into custody once and for all."

The two cops backed up slowly and Carl kept the smile on his face, purposely making it more tentative as if he was afraid now. The two cops had a solid look on their face before they turned and walked out, closing the door lightly behind them. The woman glanced over at her partner as he left out a sign of what seemed to be relief.

"Jerry, we're going to get him, don't worry about a thing. We just need a more probable cause." The woman tried to explain as they walked down the short hallway that lead to the door.

Jerry, the chubby officer dabbed at his temples and whipped away drops of sweat before responding. "Jess, did you hear that? When we were back there, a loud boom?"

Jess shrugged her broad shoulders and looked over their backs slowly, as if something was bothering her and when Jerry glanced back there wasn't anything there. "I figured it was the sewer, there's occasionally a massive garbage dump that can create that same exact sound and before long there's little monsters running around. Sometimes the water can even roar up and flood the whole sewer. But that's only happened once and the city knows how much garbage to throw in and out now, how much to know that it won't flood it."